Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > WebService Returns Black Page When Invoking

WebService Returns Black Page When Invoking

David

Hi Everyone!

I am working on a project for a directed study class and am having
problems with webservices.

I have .NET Framework version 1.1.4322.573 with IIS and Frontpage
Extensions installed and Visual Studio 2003. These are all a fresh
install as I removed and re-installed to try and fix the problem to no
avail.

What Happens
============
In Visual Studio I can create a new Web Service project, say
WebService1, and all is created fine on IIS. I then open the default
file created by Visual Studio (service1.asmx) and uncomment the "Hello
World" web service.

[WebMethod]
public string HelloWorld()
{
return "Hello World";
}

I can then browse to http://localhost/WebService1/service1.asmx and
click the link for the web method HelloWorld. I then click the Invoke
button.
A new window opens and it is blank, there is nothing there. On 1 other
machine I have seen this work on campus where XML was returned with the
"Hello World" text in it, but not here. When I try to view source in
Internet Explorer the text for "Source" in the view menu is grayed out.

On 2 machines I have tried to get this to work and I get the same
result. I really do not know where to go.

I am writing an Instant Messenger app for C# and Web Services but I am
at a wall here where I can't move further until I can get the web
services to respond.

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way!

-David R Underwood
drunderw AT presby.edu

David

Ok so I decided to load it in Mozilla instead of IE and Mozilla
displayed it but with an error: At the top of the page it reads:

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated
with it. The document tree is shown below."

Below it is:
<string>Hello World</string>

What does this mean?

David

https://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/20...25/421763.aspx

Apparently installing Netscape 8 will kill Internet Explorer's ability
to render XML. See the link above.

-David