Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Server Time Out

Server Time Out

Clara

Hi everybody,

I am developing a Web Service that matches users from Active Directory
and users typed in a SQL Server 200 Table. Then generates a XML with the
XML.XMLElement class and returns it to a Windows program. If I debug the Web
Service it works fine, I can see the XML in the Internet Explorer, but when
I request it, the Windows application returns that exception:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in
system.dll

Additional information: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to
connect to the remote server.

I don't know what to do. Any kind of help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

CodeMeister

The problem could be security related in several respects. The first issue
could be not passing user credentials to the web service from the client.
This would be an issue if you're using Windows authentication on the
service. To resolve this issue, use the following line on your proxy before
you call the service:

proxy.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;

The other issue is the classic double hop issue. This is an issue when
calling a remote server from a web server due to not being able to forward
credentials.

You do not state if your call through IE is local to the server or remote.
If it is local, then your credentials will be passed to the service. If it
is remote, IE will forward your credentials when using Windows
authentication.

Hope this helps.

Jon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...