Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Design question

Design question

TonyR

I've got to write a webservice with vb.net client and server such that the
client will upload an XML file. The XML needs to be checked against a schema
and a validation message returned to the client.

The easy way I found to do this is to pass a dataset which works fine,
unfortunately I have to write the server end such that a non-Microsoft
customers can develop clients too.

I could upload the file as a byte or string array then validate it (I have
done this and it works) but I'm wondering if there is an open standard for
receiving an .XML (as XML data rather than as a string) so that it can be
validated as it comes in.

inetmug

The JAX-RPC specification (v1.1) dictates that the xsd:any type be
represented by an
instance of a class that implements the javax.xml.soap.SOAPElement
interface. The
SOAPElement interface implements the org.w3c.dom.Node interface and offers a
similar
API as an object implementing the org.w3c.dom.Document interface for
manipulating its
content. Therefore, if you want to pass unmodified XML data you can
manipulate the
data in a document object, use the document to populate an instance of an
object
implementing SOAPElement, and then pass the data in an operation that uses
an xsd:any
as a parameter.
This note will illustrate this concept. You can find a nice introduction to
this topic at
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...ws-xsdany.html.
--
Patrick