Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Help! ARGH! .net not recognizing VB

Help! ARGH! .net not recognizing VB

RWC

Hi Folks,

I have a windows 2000 server installation, IIS is running and the ASP.NET
1.1 SDK has been installed. I'm reading a book on ASP.NET and the lessons
call for the first line to read <%@ Page Language="VB"%>. When I save the
page and run it (from a remote machine) I get the following message;

"The scripting language 'VB' is not found on the server."

I haven't been able to find ANY other solution. When I type this into
google, I get about 4 hits. Any suggestions or diagnostic tools would be
great.

If you email from this post, remove the caps and underscores from the email
address

Thanks in Advance!
Rick

Marina

Are you sure asp.net is running on this machine? Does your file have a .aspx
extension?

"RWC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a windows 2000 server installation, IIS is running and the ASP.NET
> 1.1 SDK has been installed. I'm reading a book on ASP.NET and the lessons
> call for the first line to read <%@ Page Language="VB"%>. When I save the
> page and run it (from a remote machine) I get the following message;
>
> "The scripting language 'VB' is not found on the server."
>
> I haven't been able to find ANY other solution. When I type this into
> google, I get about 4 hits. Any suggestions or diagnostic tools would be
> great.
>
> If you email from this post, remove the caps and underscores from the
> email
> address
>
> Thanks in Advance!
> Rick

Hans Kesting

RWC wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a windows 2000 server installation, IIS is running and the
> ASP.NET 1.1 SDK has been installed. I'm reading a book on ASP.NET and the
> lessons call for the first line to read <%@ Page Language="VB"%>. When I save the page and run it (from a remote machine) I get
> the
> following message;
> "The scripting language 'VB' is not found on the server."
>
> I haven't been able to find ANY other solution. When I type this into
> google, I get about 4 hits. Any suggestions or diagnostic tools
> would be great.
>
> If you email from this post, remove the caps and underscores from the
> email address
>
> Thanks in Advance!
> Rick

Did you install asp.net *after* installing IIS? (you should)

Dis you give your page an aspx extension (mind the "X")?

RWC

Hi Marina. Thanks for the quick reply.

I ran the ASPNET_REGIIS.EXE with the /i switch from the 1.1 folder, so I'm
assuming it's running, I don't know where to look to find the current
running version. I have it saved with a .asp extension, but have also tried
..aspx which produces another error (if you go to
http://hemmingway.dyns.cx/Testapp.aspx ). Not sure what I'm missing, but
it's driving me nutty!

Thanks!
Rick

"Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eFKkU%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you sure asp.net is running on this machine? Does your file have a
> .aspx extension?
>
> "RWC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have a windows 2000 server installation, IIS is running and the ASP.NET
>> 1.1 SDK has been installed. I'm reading a book on ASP.NET and the
>> lessons
>> call for the first line to read <%@ Page Language="VB"%>. When I save
>> the
>> page and run it (from a remote machine) I get the following message;
>>
>> "The scripting language 'VB' is not found on the server."
>>
>> I haven't been able to find ANY other solution. When I type this into
>> google, I get about 4 hits. Any suggestions or diagnostic tools would be
>> great.
>>
>> If you email from this post, remove the caps and underscores from the
>> email
>> address
>>
>> Thanks in Advance!
>> Rick

Marina

We can't see the error from the outside, because we are not running on that
server.

I don't really see, how you expected asp.net, to run an ASP page. ASP pages
are for ASP to process. ASP.NET can only process pages that end with 'aspx'.

In any case, we can't see your error, so not much we can do.

> Hi Marina. Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I ran the ASPNET_REGIIS.EXE with the /i switch from the 1.1 folder, so I'm
> assuming it's running, I don't know where to look to find the current
> running version. I have it saved with a .asp extension, but have also
> tried .aspx which produces another error (if you go to
> http://hemmingway.dyns.cx/Testapp.aspx ). Not sure what I'm missing, but
> it's driving me nutty!
>
> Thanks!
> Rick
>

> "Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eFKkU%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are you sure asp.net is running on this machine? Does your file have a
>> .aspx extension?
>>
>> "RWC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I have a windows 2000 server installation, IIS is running and the
>>> ASP.NET
>>> 1.1 SDK has been installed. I'm reading a book on ASP.NET and the
>>> lessons
>>> call for the first line to read <%@ Page Language="VB"%>. When I save
>>> the
>>> page and run it (from a remote machine) I get the following message;
>>>
>>> "The scripting language 'VB' is not found on the server."
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to find ANY other solution. When I type this into
>>> google, I get about 4 hits. Any suggestions or diagnostic tools would
>>> be
>>> great.
>>>
>>> If you email from this post, remove the caps and underscores from the
>>> email
>>> address
>>>
>>> Thanks in Advance!
>>> Rick

RWC

Hi Mike,

This is about as simple as it gets. The following is the page that I have
saved as Testapp.aspx. As you can see, nothing fancy happening here (the
actual page does not include the opening and closing quotes);

"<%@Page Language=VB%>

Sub Button_Click(obj as object,e As EventArgs)
response.write(obj.text)
end sub
</script>

<form runat=server>
<asp:button id="btSubmit" text="Submit"
runat=server
onclick="button_click"/><p>
</form>

Rick

"vMike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F5pie.6263$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> "RWC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have a windows 2000 server installation, IIS is running and the ASP.NET
>> 1.1 SDK has been installed. I'm reading a book on ASP.NET and the
>> lessons
>> call for the first line to read <%@ Page Language="VB"%>. When I save
>> the
>> page and run it (from a remote machine) I get the following message;
>>
>> "The scripting language 'VB' is not found on the server."
>>
>> I haven't been able to find ANY other solution. When I type this into
>> google, I get about 4 hits. Any suggestions or diagnostic tools would be
>> great.
>>
>> If you email from this post, remove the caps and underscores from the

> email
>> address
>>
>> Thanks in Advance!
>> Rick
>>

> I don't think you have to have a language designation. Try removing it and
> see what happens. I suspect there is some other problem.

RWC

Hi Marina. As stated previously, I've tried both extensions. Per your
request, the error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error
error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable
on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
configuration file located in the root directory of the current web
application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute
set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom
error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's
<customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

"Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We can't see the error from the outside, because we are not running on
> that server.
>
> I don't really see, how you expected asp.net, to run an ASP page. ASP
> pages are for ASP to process. ASP.NET can only process pages that end with
> 'aspx'.
>
> In any case, we can't see your error, so not much we can do.
>
> "RWC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Hi Marina. Thanks for the quick reply.
>>
>> I ran the ASPNET_REGIIS.EXE with the /i switch from the 1.1 folder, so
>> I'm assuming it's running, I don't know where to look to find the current
>> running version. I have it saved with a .asp extension, but have also
>> tried .aspx which produces another error (if you go to
>> http://hemmingway.dyns.cx/Testapp.aspx ). Not sure what I'm missing, but
>> it's driving me nutty!
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Rick
>>

>> "Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eFKkU%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Are you sure asp.net is running on this machine? Does your file have a
>>> .aspx extension?
>>>
>>> "RWC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

RWC

Oops, sorry, wrong page;

Server Error in '/' Application.

Server cannot access application directory 'F:\MyuFolder\'. The directory
does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server cannot access
application directory 'F:\MyuFolder\'. The directory does not exist or is
not accessible because of security settings.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server cannot access application directory
'F:\MyFolder\'. The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of
security settings.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureAccessToApplicationDi rectory() +72
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContex t context) +263

[HttpException (0x80004005): ASP.NET Initialization Error]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContex t context) +982
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(Http WorkerRequest wr) +128

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
Version:1.1.4322.2032
> Hi Marina. As stated previously, I've tried both extensions. Per your
> request, the error:
>
> Server Error in '/' Application.
>
> Runtime Error
> custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
> application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
> could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.
>
> Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be
> viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a
> "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the
> current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its
> "mode" attribute set to "Off".
>

> <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
>
> <configuration>
> <system.web>
> <customErrors mode="Off"/>
> </system.web>
> </configuration>
>

> Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom
> error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the
> application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error
> page URL.
>

> <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
>
> <configuration>
> <system.web>
> <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"
> defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
> </system.web>
> </configuration>
>

> "Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> We can't see the error from the outside, because we are not running on
>> that server.
>>
>> I don't really see, how you expected asp.net, to run an ASP page. ASP
>> pages are for ASP to process. ASP.NET can only process pages that end
>> with 'aspx'.
>>
>> In any case, we can't see your error, so not much we can do.
>>
>> "RWC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Hi Marina. Thanks for the quick reply.
>>>
>>> I ran the ASPNET_REGIIS.EXE with the /i switch from the 1.1 folder, so
>>> I'm assuming it's running, I don't know where to look to find the
>>> current running version. I have it saved with a .asp extension, but
>>> have also tried .aspx which produces another error (if you go to
>>> http://hemmingway.dyns.cx/Testapp.aspx ). Not sure what I'm missing,
>>> but it's driving me nutty!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Rick
>>>

>>> "Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:eFKkU%(E-Mail Removed)...

Marina

You have a permissions problem Make sure that ASP.net has access to the
directory it is looking for. And that it actually exists.

But what you need to do first, is to make sure a basic asp.net page can be
served up. Forget about trying to put code in it to do file access.

> [...]
>> application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error
>> page URL.
>>

>> <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
>>
>> <configuration>
>> <system.web>
>> <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"
>> defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
>> </system.web>
>> </configuration>
>>

>> "Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> We can't see the error from the outside, because we are not running on
>>> that server.
>>>
>>> I don't really see, how you expected asp.net, to run an ASP page. ASP
>>> pages are for ASP to process. ASP.NET can only process pages that end
>>> with 'aspx'.
>>>
>>> In any case, we can't see your error, so not much we can do.
>>>
>>> "RWC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Marina

You are missing the <script> start tag.