Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Why is reference.vb hierarchally linked to reference.map?

Why is reference.vb hierarchally linked to reference.map?

Richard Myers

Hello.

When generating a webservice proxy i notice that reference.vb is
heirarchally linked to reference.map.
Why is this since if i delete reference.map and re-include reference.vb my
project compiles and runs just fine?

Ive done a liitle reading on msdn about this but this has left me with the
understanding that ref.map is basically just a discovery log.
It doesn;t seem to have any runtime purpose at all? At least not post proxy
generation? I dont even want most of this guff including the wsdl most of
the time once my proxy has been generated and i surely cant see what
purpose it serves (ref.map) nor why it is linked in this way?

Any thoughts?

Richard

Brock Allen

This is correct. It's so if you do "Refresh WebService" (or whatever the
menu is), it'll know where to go re-download the WSDL. The important piece
is the generated proxy code which can also be acquired via the WSDL.exe command
line tool, and that generated source file could just as easily be included
into your project.

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen