Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Slow creation of new WS + session states

Slow creation of new WS + session states

jez

I have a two-folded question :

1) Do I need to create a new Webservice each time I want to make a call to a
method from a different form? (it's pretty slow!) I have an application on
..NetCF with different forms; I wish to know whether I can just create a
webservice once and access the webservice object from my different forms
(just like I do with my static variables).

2) Are sessions kept between different webservice calls coming from the same
client? If 1) is true then I'd hope that sessions are kept between different
calls.

Thanks a lot,

jez

Manohar Kamath

Jez,

Webservices should inherently be stateless. You could turn the session state
on, but you are now assuming that the consumer of the service is a browser,
or someone who returns the session state cookie. This limits the types of
clients the service can have.

You could improve the performance by using some caching strategy, either on
the client or on the server.

--
Manohar Kamath
Editor, .netWire

"jez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a two-folded question :
>
> 1) Do I need to create a new Webservice each time I want to make a call to

> method from a different form? (it's pretty slow!) I have an application on
> .NetCF with different forms; I wish to know whether I can just create a
> webservice once and access the webservice object from my different forms
> (just like I do with my static variables).
>
> 2) Are sessions kept between different webservice calls coming from the

same
> client? If 1) is true then I'd hope that sessions are kept between

different
> calls.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> jez

jez

I ended up using sessions. It's not too much of a problem because my
application is totally geared towards a customized NETcf application that I'm
making.

I am interested however on speeding up a webservice connection; Right now
all I do is Service1 ws = new Service1(); and then make an async call to the
webservice. It's much nicer than using a sync call but I believe that the
actual webservice creation is still too slow. Could that have anything to do
with my computer? (Centrino 1.7Ghz w/512MB) - I'm not planning on having more
than 5 concurrent users. Please advice.

Kind regards