Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Jay

Hi,

I have a web service which was running perfectly fine under my dev
machine running win xp PRO and under our test server running win 2k.
But since last week service stopped working on server. Everytime I call
it I get above error. I asked server guys if they installed anything in
last week, they say no. Does anyone know of any obvious difference
between win 2k and XP pro?

Jaydeep

Manohar Kamath

Could be one of the million ways you could get that error. The best way is
to ask for debug permissions on the machine, and see where your code is
breaking.

--
Manohar Kamath
Editor, .netWire

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a web service which was running perfectly fine under my dev
> machine running win xp PRO and under our test server running win 2k.
> But since last week service stopped working on server. Everytime I call
> it I get above error. I asked server guys if they installed anything in
> last week, they say no. Does anyone know of any obvious difference
> between win 2k and XP pro?
>
> Jaydeep

Jay

I did find the error. Code was failing exactly at connection.Open()
method. The error was cleared up (with no change in code) by resetting
IIS. My question is, how did this happen?, is there any known issue
with connection.Open() method or oracle connection pool to cause this
error? Right now error is gone but I am worried if it will happen again
and how frequently.

Jay