Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Is it possible to use uniqueidentifier in a web service type Datas

Is it possible to use uniqueidentifier in a web service type Datas

martinwlarsen@online.nospam

I have made a web service that returns a typed dataset that includes a
uniqueidentifier field. When I import this web service into visual studio
using add reference I get the following error: Custom tool error: Failed to
generate dataset. Undefined data type: 'anyType'.

Is there anyway way to make this work ?

BRGDS
Martin W. Larsen

Dilip Krishnan

> I have made a web service that returns a typed dataset that includes a
> uniqueidentifier field. When I import this web service into visual studio
> using add reference I get the following error: Custom tool error: Failed to
> generate dataset. Undefined data type: 'anyType'.
>
> Is there anyway way to make this work ?
>

> BRGDS
> Martin W. Larsen

Martin,
The only way I can think of is to not use typed dataset. You're
running to this problem possibly because something in the typed dataset
is not xml serializable

--
HTH
Regards,

M.Posseth

The XML anytype is normally used for the .Net Object datatype

--
Met vriendelijke groet
Kind regards,

Michel Posseth
Software Developer
Microsoft Certified Professional

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have made a web service that returns a typed dataset that includes a
> uniqueidentifier field. When I import this web service into visual studio
> using add reference I get the following error: Custom tool error: Failed

> generate dataset. Undefined data type: 'anyType'.
>
> Is there anyway way to make this work ?
>

> BRGDS
> Martin W. Larsen

martinwlarsen@online.nospam

Hi,

I know but it does not work when I have a dataset that includes a table with
a uniqueidentifier field. The xsd for the dataset looks like this:

<xs:element name="TestWeb">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="ID" type="xs:int" />
<xs:element name="Text1" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element name="Text2" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element minOccurs="0" name="Test3" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element minOccurs="0" name="Text4" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element msdataataType="System.Guid, mscorlib,
Version=2.0.3600.0, Culture=neutral,
PubicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" minOccurs="0" name="Testuni"
type="xs:anyType" />
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

If I remove the uniqueidentifier field from the dataadaptor and re-generate
the dataset everything works. And I can refrence the web service with a
uniqueidentifier field from vs 2005 without any problem. I have also tried to
import the web service to a different mashine with VS2003 and have the same
problem.

"M.Posseth" wrote:

> The XML anytype is normally used for the .Net Object datatype
>

> --
> Met vriendelijke groet
> Kind regards,
>
> Michel Posseth
> Software Developer
> Microsoft Certified Professional
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have made a web service that returns a typed dataset that includes a
> > uniqueidentifier field. When I import this web service into visual studio
> > using add reference I get the following error: Custom tool error: Failed

> > generate dataset. Undefined data type: 'anyType'.
> >
> > Is there anyway way to make this work ?
> >

> > BRGDS
> > Martin W. Larsen

martinwlarsen@online.nospam

I have tried that to but as soon the program calls the webservice it throws
an exception about the anytype.

As anyone gotten a dataset with a Guid Field working from a webservice using
VS 2003?

Thanks
Martin

"Dilip Krishnan" wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I have made a web service that returns a typed dataset that includes a
> > uniqueidentifier field. When I import this web service into visual studio
> > using add reference I get the following error: Custom tool error: Failed to
> > generate dataset. Undefined data type: 'anyType'.
> >
> > Is there anyway way to make this work ?
> >

> > BRGDS
> > Martin W. Larsen
> >

> Martin,
> The only way I can think of is to not use typed dataset. You're
> running to this problem possibly because something in the typed dataset
> is not xml serializable
>
> --
> HTH
> Regards,
> Dilip Krishnan
> MCAD, MCSD.net
> dkrishnan at geniant dot com
> http://www.geniant.com

[MSFT]

Hell Martin,

I have replied your question in another thread. Please refer to that.

Thanks,

Luke