Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Difference between remoting and web services?

Difference between remoting and web services?

msnews.microsoft.com

I always understood that web services was the means to the end which is
remoting. Is there a difference between remoting and XML web services, in
the context of the .NET Framework? If someone told me that he was going to
use the .NET Framework to do web services, but he wasn't going to be messing
with remoting, is there such a thing as working with .NET web services
without doing remoting?

Or is there indeed a significant difference that I completely forgot about
or overlooked?

Thanks,
Jon

Dilip Krishnan

Hello msnews.microsoft.com,
Web services is not platform specific whereas remoting is platform specific.
If the client and server use remoting then they are bound to .net/windows
and are tightly coupled. Whereas SOAP based web services are not coupled
and a java client could access a .net service and vice-versa. To answer your
question. There is such a thing as doing web services without remoting and
thats what the world is trying to use to solve some of their service oriented
problems.

HTH
Regards,
Dilip Krishnan
MCAD, MCSD.net
dkrishnan at geniant dot com
http://www.geniant.com

> I always understood that web services was the means to the end which
> is remoting. Is there a difference between remoting and XML web
> services, in the context of the .NET Framework? If someone told me
> that he was going to use the .NET Framework to do web services, but he
> wasn't going to be messing with remoting, is there such a thing as
> working with .NET web services without doing remoting?
>
> Or is there indeed a significant difference that I completely forgot
> about or overlooked?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Jon Davis

I finally got around to Googling it and now I understand.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rences+compare

news:ez5eaFw$(E-Mail Removed)...