Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > how to call webmethods in a batch

how to call webmethods in a batch

ranga

>> Does WebService support calling methods in a batch. I have the following
two scenarios:

case1 : say i need to call two webservice methods that do an insert and
update respectively on a database. How do i enclose the 2 calls in a
batch/transaction

case2: say the 2 methods that i want to call in a batch are "get" type of
methods - ie one returns a string and another returns a byte array. But i
want to protect my client agains the risk that one of the methods or both may
not return due to service outage?. How do i handle this situation ?. Do i
need to investigate the exception in each method ?

thanks
ranga

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

> case1 : say i need to call two webservice methods that do an insert and
> update respectively on a database. How do i enclose the 2 calls in a
> batch/transaction

WS-AtomicTransaction is a spec that is intended to deal with transactions
that span web services.
It is still being drafted, and implementations are few and far between.

Without WS-AT, then you need to roll your own atomicity guarantees.

> case2: say the 2 methods that i want to call in a batch are "get" type of
> methods - ie one returns a string and another returns a byte array. But i
> want to protect my client agains the risk that one of the methods or both
> may
> not return due to service outage?. How do i handle this situation ?. Do i
> need to investigate the exception in each method ?

Yes. I don't see the alternative. What the services return is irrelevant.
If you have two distinct outbound calls, your app needs to check the
response to each of them.

WebMethods Info GMHK Java 0 06-10-2005 07:02 AM
US - TX -- WebMethods Analyst godwin Java 0 04-14-2005 11:40 PM
can webmethods be polymorphic? Manco ASP .Net 1 02-03-2005 08:59 AM
Posting Credentials using LWP To WebMethods mdh Perl 0 04-20-2004 01:27 AM

Advertisments