Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > ASP.NET SSL problem

ASP.NET SSL problem

jack

hi,

i've got an ASP.NET application which call a web service over ssl channel
sending client cetificate and i got the following error:
"The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish secure channel
for SSL/TLS"

If i use the same code in a windows application it works fine.

Do you have any idea?

thx

Dan Rogers

Hi Mario,

When embedding web service calls in server side applications, you will have
to manually allocate a certificate to the connection. When you use a
client side application (win32 code running in an interactive window) you
get automatic certificate negotiation. You will need to obtain a valid
level 3 cert for your server to allow it to make calls to secured services,
and make sure that the called application recognizes the certificate (party
and root authority) for this to work.

There are good examples of this type of coding in the WSE 2.0 SP1 toolkit
that you can download from MSDN.

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------
>From: "jack" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: ASP.NET SSL problem
>Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:25:11 +0100
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!cpmsftn gxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08
.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl

>hi,
>
>i've got an ASP.NET application which call a web service over ssl channel
>sending client cetificate and i got the following error:
>"The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish secure channel
>for SSL/TLS"
>
>If i use the same code in a windows application it works fine.
>
>Do you have any idea?
>
>thx

jack

hi Dan,

so i have to install Server Certificate also on my server?

thx

"Dan Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Mario,
>
> When embedding web service calls in server side applications, you will have
> to manually allocate a certificate to the connection. When you use a
> client side application (win32 code running in an interactive window) you
> get automatic certificate negotiation. You will need to obtain a valid
> level 3 cert for your server to allow it to make calls to secured services,
> and make sure that the called application recognizes the certificate (party
> and root authority) for this to work.
>
> There are good examples of this type of coding in the WSE 2.0 SP1 toolkit
> that you can download from MSDN.
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Dan Rogers
> Microsoft Corporation
> --------------------
> >From: "jack" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Subject: ASP.NET SSL problem
> >Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:25:11 +0100
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
> cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!cpmsftn gxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08
> .phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl

> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es:26860
> >
> >hi,
> >
> >i've got an ASP.NET application which call a web service over ssl channel
> >sending client cetificate and i got the following error:
> >"The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish secure channel
> >for SSL/TLS"
> >
> >If i use the same code in a windows application it works fine.
> >
> >Do you have any idea?
> >
> >thx

Dan Rogers

You do need a server certificate. This is different than Certificate
Server ...

Dan
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?amFjaw==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: RE: ASP.NET SSL problem
>Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:11:04 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA0
3.phx.gbl