Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Avoiding De-Serialization

Avoiding De-Serialization

Mark Oueis

I've got what i think is a tough question. I hope someone can help me.

We have data entering our software through a Web Service. It is then
directly (without any processing whatsoever) forwarded to a Windows
Service through remoting. The problem is this: when lots of data is
coming in, its being de-serialized by the Web Service, then serialized
again to be sent to the windows Service, then de-serialized by the
Windows Service to be used.

Is there any way i can just avoid the de-serialization process of the
Web Service? Can i just keep the data serialized and pass it through
remoting to the Windows Service?

Thanks

Mark

Dan Rogers

Hi Mark,

Yes, there is a way. You can process the incoming request directly, either
by building a port listener that does a passthrough, or by hosting your
first service end-point on a Biztalk Server 2004 port. The data will still
get copied as it moves thru any interim, but you can avoid deserializing
twice by keeping the data as XML. An advantage of using a Biztalk Server
2004 is that you can add in validation, signature verification,
transformation, etc.

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------
>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mark Oueis)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
>Subject: Avoiding De-Serialization
>Date: 23 Nov 2004 09:56:07 -0800

17:56:08 GMT)
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!tornado .fastwebnet.it!tiscali!new
sfeed1.ip.tiscali.net!news.glorb.com!postnews.goog le.com!not-for-mail

>I've got what i think is a tough question. I hope someone can help me.
>
>We have data entering our software through a Web Service. It is then
>directly (without any processing whatsoever) forwarded to a Windows
>Service through remoting. The problem is this: when lots of data is
>coming in, its being de-serialized by the Web Service, then serialized
>again to be sent to the windows Service, then de-serialized by the
>Windows Service to be used.
>
>Is there any way i can just avoid the de-serialization process of the
>Web Service? Can i just keep the data serialized and pass it through
>remoting to the Windows Service?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark

Mark Oueis

Thanks, we might need to use one of those methods.

I was thinking though, is there any need to have a Windows Service at
all? Can we not simply use the ASP .NET service for all our needs?

Basically the question boils down to this. What can we do in the
windows service that cannot be done in the ASP .NET service.

Thanks again

Mark

Dan Rogers

If you choose to use the ASP.net infrastructure, you won't be able to avoid
the repeated serialization/deserialization since this is a part of the
ASP.net stack. For more information on this, look at how web service
extensions work - the full deserialization stack is discussed in the
articles on web service extensions.

If you write your own port reader or HTTP handler (and thus use IIS as a
service facade), you have full control. The WSE 2.0 toolkit also comes
with the infrastructure you need to do this kind of work, so that is an
option as well.

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------
>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Mark Oueis)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
>Subject: Re: Avoiding De-Serialization
>Date: 25 Nov 2004 10:02:57 -0800

<(E-Mail Removed)>

18:02:57 GMT)
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!tornado .fastwebnet.it!tiscali!new
sfeed1.ip.tiscali.net!news.glorb.com!postnews.goog le.com!not-for-mail

>Thanks, we might need to use one of those methods.
>
>I was thinking though, is there any need to have a Windows Service at
>all? Can we not simply use the ASP .NET service for all our needs?
>
>Basically the question boils down to this. What can we do in the
>windows service that cannot be done in the ASP .NET service.
>
>Thanks again
>
>Mark

markoueis@hotmail.com

What do you think of avoiding the windows service all together and
moving everything to the web application.

I have seen techniques to keep the application alive (by making the
application make requests to itself before the session ends)

Mark

Dan Rogers

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure what it is that you are trying to gain. Of course, you could
develop a number of means (including an interactive application that just
opens a port and listens). But the purpose of creating tools and standards
based infrastructure is to get you out of the game of implemeting the
infrastructure pieces (very error prone) and into the application business.

Does this make sense?

Dan
--------------------
>From: (E-Mail Removed)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
>Subject: Re: Avoiding De-Serialization
>Date: 13 Dec 2004 11:27:05 -0800

19:27:09 GMT)
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s
ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news.glorb.com!postnews.google.com!c13g2 000cwb.go
oglegroups.com!not-for-mail

>What do you think of avoiding the windows service all together and
>moving everything to the web application.
>
>I have seen techniques to keep the application alive (by making the
>application make requests to itself before the session ends)
>
>Mark

markoueis@hotmail.com

I'm trying to avoid double serialization.

One way of doing that is to avoiding having to send the information to
my windows service and just processing the infromation at the web
application directly. What limitations does this have?

Mark

Dan Rogers

Hi Mark,

None on the surface of things. In essence what you are doing right now
sounds like you've built a web service wrapper on a remoting application.
I'd consider refactoring both so that the logic you want to share is in a
DLL that both the web servce and the windows service (your remoting host
for your application) can directly use the shared code.

Dan
--------------------
>From: (E-Mail Removed)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
>Subject: Re: Avoiding De-Serialization
>Date: 16 Dec 2004 08:56:29 -0800

16:56:33 GMT)
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!tornado .fastwebnet.it!tiscali!new
sfeed1.ip.tiscali.net!news.maxwell.syr.edu!postnew s.google.com!f14g2000cwb.g
ooglegroups.com!not-for-mail

>I'm trying to avoid double serialization.
>
>One way of doing that is to avoiding having to send the information to
>my windows service and just processing the infromation at the web
>application directly. What limitations does this have?
>
>Mark

Avoiding "Bad Synchronous Description" Error when Synthesizing Takuon Soho VHDL 5 03-09-2005 05:41 AM
avoiding GCLK Mastupristi VHDL 7 12-10-2003 06:45 AM
Re: Avoiding latches Ken Smith VHDL 3 07-17-2003 08:34 AM
Re: Avoiding latches Jan De Ceuster VHDL 0 07-15-2003 08:55 PM
Re: Avoiding latches Keith R. Williams VHDL 0 07-14-2003 05:09 PM

Advertisments