Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Unicode and newline characters in XML text sond via Web Service

Unicode and newline characters in XML text sond via Web Service

Krzysztof Fink-Finowicki via .NET 247

Hi,

I fill-in text in TEXTAREA tag on HTML page, then send its content via content of XML element parameter sent through WebService function from JavaScript.

On client side, I can read my text in debugger as:

<Text>?Omr?de?
?hj?lp?</Text>

(with literal newline).

On server side, transferred content of XML tag looks as:

<Text>???Omr??de???
???hj??lp???</Text>

(the newline character is displayed in Notepad as single square).

Server side text is then stored to database.

This effect causes:
- differences between client and server texts regarding newline characters;
- loss of national characters.

How and where should I set encoding parameters for Web Service transmission to overcome these problems ?

Please help.

Krzysztof

From: Krzysztof Fink-Finowicki

<Id>/Mfwl0cO10SwsoCeieqbPg==</Id>