Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Fire Event to Server-side

Fire Event to Server-side

Curtis Kam

Dear all,

I'm now using TCP socket using user-defined protocol to communicate between
two machines (server and client). But now, I'd like to introduce a Web
Service in my server-side. If my client software subscribes the web service,
does it have the flexibilty to fire a event to server? That is, is there any
similar function just like DCOM (they can fire event to each other and
remote function call)?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Curtis

Curtis Kam

Or ask it in a simply way,
does Web Serivce can act as a middle-ware between two applications?

"Curtis Kam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear all,
>
> I'm now using TCP socket using user-defined protocol to communicate

between
> two machines (server and client). But now, I'd like to introduce a Web
> Service in my server-side. If my client software subscribes the web

service,
> does it have the flexibilty to fire a event to server? That is, is there

any
> similar function just like DCOM (they can fire event to each other and
> remote function call)?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Curtis

Dan Rogers

Hi Curtis,

As of now, think of the Web Service stack much like you would a simple RPC
stack. In a SOAP based web service, the client can make a request to the
service. It can do this and wait for a response. It can do this and not
wait for a response. If it waits for a response, the thread that is
servicing the connection is blocked until the response is received
(response on same connection).

In a classical "eventing" view of the world, a caller can raise an event (a
method call) asynchronously (e.g. not wait for a response). This is
sometimes known as a one-way call. In this regard, a non-blocking, no
response web service call (One Way) behaves much like an event, and this is
easy for a caller/client to do.

More problematic today is the server side event where a client establishes
a subscription to an event, and provides an address where notifications can
be sent to wheneven need be. Today, there is no part of the ASP.NET stack
that provides a direct analog to this ability, since the client would have
to implement an addressible SOAP endpoint. This can be problematic on
smaller clients, and in situations involving firewalls.

One can approximate this right now by providing a caching ability on a
service side, and have the client periodically poll for notifications via a
same-connection response web method call that goes to the server, checks
for notificaitons, and returns any undelivered notifications and then marks
them as delivered.

In Indigo, the code-name for the next generation web service stack, a spec
called WS-Eventing has been written to provide a more traditional eventing
way of programming. The caller will need to either be active to receive an
event, or participate in a "turn on the client" query that checks for
outstanding notifications that could not be delivered normally.

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation

>From: "Curtis Kam" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Fire Event to Server-side
>Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:38:31 +0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!cpmsftn gxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08
phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl