Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > How to send a DIME attachment with SOAP

How to send a DIME attachment with SOAP

Ipsita

Hi!

I am trying SOAP with DIME attachments in web services. The web
service sends the file as attachment say "test.doc", and the client
has to read that and populate it in a textbox control. I had asked
this question earlier, and got the reply that the data is tranferred
in binary format on the wire. I read the stream, and convert it to
string, but I get some junk characters in my textbox. I am writing my
code below, so that you can see what I am doing wrong, and correct me.
This is what I do:

On Server:
----------
[WebMethod]
public void GetDoc()
{
SoapContext respContext = ResponseSoapContext.Current;
DimeAttachment dimeAttach = new DimeAttachment("application/msword",
TypeFormat.MediaType,
@"D:\Images\Test.doc");
respContext.Attachments.Add(dimeAttach);
}

On Client:
----------
private void btnGetDoc_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
MyDimeService svc = new MyDimeService();
svc.GetDoc();
if (svc.ResponseSoapContext.Attachments.Count == 1)
{
MessageBox.Show("Got it!\n");
// Get the stream and do something with it
Stream s = svc.ResponseSoapContext.Attachments[0].Stream;
byte [] binaryData = new byte[s.Length];
long bytesRead = s.Read(binaryData, 0, binaryData.Length);
s.Close();
string base64String;
try
{
base64String = System.Convert.ToBase64String(binaryData, 0,

binaryData.Length);
}
catch (System.ArgumentNullException)
{
System.Console.WriteLine("Binary data array is null.");
return;
}
txtGetDoc.Text = base64String;
} //end of if
} //end of private..

Waiting for an answer...

Thanks
Ipsita

Dan Rogers

Hi,

I think the issue is you are trying to convert a Word document to a text
string. To quote the little boy with the spoon in "The Matrix" - "That's
impossible.".

To read a word document on the client side, you could write the stream as
received to an appropriately named file, and then invoke word. Otherwise,
you might try to load the stream into an XMLDocument class - most word
documents these days are XML, but older versions are not. From there you
might be able to find the string you are looking for.

In short, to display text in a text box, you'll need to make sure you're
sending text that is suitble for display in a text box. Most binary files
are not.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were seeking,

Regards

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ipsita)
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
>Subject: How to send a DIME attachment with SOAP
>Date: 28 Oct 2004 19:19:20 -0700

02:19:21 GMT)
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!news-out.cwi
x.com!newsfeed.cwix.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews. com!nntp.giganews.com!news
glorb.com!postnews1.google.com!not-for-mail