Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Remote Debugging question ?

Remote Debugging question ?

Shailendra Batham

Hey gurus,

I have a question about remote debugging in .Net.

I have a Windows XP Machine with Visual Studio .Net 2003, where I have a web
service application, everything works fine but now I have to deploy this on
another machine.

The other machine is a Windows 2000 Machine where the web service will be
deployed, so I just put the asmx file and the bin folder, everything works
fine.... now question is....... how do I debug this application if there are
some errors.... see what I mean, I should be able to sit on my XP machine
and debug the application on the windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
idea about this ?

Thanks,
Shailendra Batham

Marina

Go to Debug-Processes. Type in the other machine's name in the textbox
where you select the machine (it should have your machine's name defaulted
in). Then select the aspnet process and attach to it.

I think you have to have enough permissions on the other server to actually
debug on it. I'm not sure if you need to install anything else on there - it
might be there.

"Shailendra Batham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey gurus,
>
> I have a question about remote debugging in .Net.
>
> I have a Windows XP Machine with Visual Studio .Net 2003, where I have a

web
> service application, everything works fine but now I have to deploy this

on
> another machine.
>
> The other machine is a Windows 2000 Machine where the web service will be
> deployed, so I just put the asmx file and the bin folder, everything works
> fine.... now question is....... how do I debug this application if there

are
> some errors.... see what I mean, I should be able to sit on my XP machine
> and debug the application on the windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have

any
> idea about this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Shailendra Batham

Shailendra Batham

Where is the Debug-Processes ?

"Marina" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go to Debug-Processes. Type in the other machine's name in the textbox
> where you select the machine (it should have your machine's name defaulted
> in). Then select the aspnet process and attach to it.
>
> I think you have to have enough permissions on the other server to
> actually
> debug on it. I'm not sure if you need to install anything else on there -
> it
> might be there.
>
> "Shailendra Batham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey gurus,
>>
>> I have a question about remote debugging in .Net.
>>
>> I have a Windows XP Machine with Visual Studio .Net 2003, where I have a

> web
>> service application, everything works fine but now I have to deploy this

> on
>> another machine.
>>
>> The other machine is a Windows 2000 Machine where the web service will be
>> deployed, so I just put the asmx file and the bin folder, everything
>> works
>> fine.... now question is....... how do I debug this application if there

> are
>> some errors.... see what I mean, I should be able to sit on my XP machine
>> and debug the application on the windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have

> any
>> idea about this ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shailendra Batham

Dan Rogers

Hi,

Debug-Processes refers to the Debug menu in your Visual Studio.Net 2003
development environment.

Another caveat is that you may need to have the debugger installed on the
remote server for this to work, and you will need to have Debug security
policy permissions added to your domain credentials on that production
server. The easiest way to install the debugger is to install Visual
Studio.Net 2003 on that server if you find you still are having trouble
debugging.

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
>From: "Shailendra Batham" <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Remote Debugging question ?
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:42:56 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP10
phx.gbl

-