Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > REPOST: Webservices in VB.Net using sockets

REPOST: Webservices in VB.Net using sockets

Martin Dobson

I've re-posted this because nobody has bothered to help me. I thought if I
came to a microsoft newsgroup so guru would be able to point me in the right
direction! Please why will no one help me, what's wrong with my description
of the problem? Is it to much or to little?

Please help!

Original message 29/09/2004 08:08 AM PST
------------------------------
Hi,

I try and be brief... I am trying to develop a web service that will act as
a middle-tier between a client (console, browser, win32 app) and a server
(Unix). This service will receive data from the client and pass it to the
server and then wait for a response from the server. Can anyone help me with
where I start or some good books to look at?

I have built something similar to this before using an asp component before
..Net was released, however it did not work as a middle-tier service. So far
all my efforts to understand how to implement this in a web service have
failed and I can't find any good articles on the web that deal with this
particular topic and vb.net.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
--
Martin Dobson
IS Development Engineer

Selva

Hi,
Are you trying to create a middle tier service(web service) thru which your client app can manipulate data with unix server?.
There are so many articles available for web services.Tell me if you are looking for any particular topic or your requirement then i can try to help you. I have written few webservices as part of my project deliverable.
thanks
selva
>I've re-posted this because nobody has bothered to help me. I thought if I
> came to a microsoft newsgroup so guru would be able to point me in the right
> direction! Please why will no one help me, what's wrong with my description
> of the problem? Is it to much or to little?
>
> Please help!
>
> Original message 29/09/2004 08:08 AM PST
> ------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> I try and be brief... I am trying to develop a web service that will act as
> a middle-tier between a client (console, browser, win32 app) and a server
> (Unix). This service will receive data from the client and pass it to the
> server and then wait for a response from the server. Can anyone help me with
> where I start or some good books to look at?
>
> I have built something similar to this before using an asp component before
> .Net was released, however it did not work as a middle-tier service. So far
> all my efforts to understand how to implement this in a web service have
> failed and I can't find any good articles on the web that deal with this
> particular topic and vb.net.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Martin Dobson
> IS Development Engineer
> Morecambe Bay Hospital NHS Trust, UK

___
Newsgroups brought to you courtesy of www.dotnetjohn.com

Martin Dobson

Thanks for your reply! finally someone!

Basically I understand the basics of web services how to pass data to and
from it like a string for example, but now i want 2 incorporate a socket call
to a UNIX server (the OS isn't important, I connect to a IAC on there via tcp
socket and wait for it to respond) and return data from it to the webservice
and finally to the client calling the webservice. I'm using VB.Net to build
it as a ASP.Net Web Service in VS.Net 2003 EA.

Is this enough information, or do you need more detailed information about
my connection to the UNIX server?

Thanks

"Selva" wrote:

> Hi,
> Are you trying to create a middle tier service(web service) thru which your client app can manipulate data with unix server?.
> There are so many articles available for web services.Tell me if you are looking for any particular topic or your requirement then i can try to help you. I have written few webservices as part of my project deliverable.
> thanks
> selva
> >I've re-posted this because nobody has bothered to help me. I thought if I
> > came to a microsoft newsgroup so guru would be able to point me in the right
> > direction! Please why will no one help me, what's wrong with my description
> > of the problem? Is it to much or to little?
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > Original message 29/09/2004 08:08 AM PST
> > ------------------------------
> > Hi,
> >
> > I try and be brief... I am trying to develop a web service that will act as
> > a middle-tier between a client (console, browser, win32 app) and a server
> > (Unix). This service will receive data from the client and pass it to the
> > server and then wait for a response from the server. Can anyone help me with
> > where I start or some good books to look at?
> >
> > I have built something similar to this before using an asp component before
> > .Net was released, however it did not work as a middle-tier service. So far
> > all my efforts to understand how to implement this in a web service have
> > failed and I can't find any good articles on the web that deal with this
> > particular topic and vb.net.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > Martin Dobson
> > IS Development Engineer
> > Morecambe Bay Hospital NHS Trust, UK
> >

> ___
> Newsgroups brought to you courtesy of www.dotnetjohn.com

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

sounds like this is only tangentially related to webservices. You
understand the webservices piece, but need help with the socket comms?

There are samples in the .NET SDK showing how to do socket comms. Also you
can google for
System.Net.IPEndPoint:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&n...net.ipendpoint

Note: Be careful with delays and threads in your service.

-D

news(E-Mail Removed)...