Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > How to create web page with spreadsheet like functionality?

How to create web page with spreadsheet like functionality?

Tom

Hello,

I'm looking for a tool that would allow me to create a web page with the
spreadsheet like functionality. Basically, I want to be able to type in a
number in the cell and have all totals being calculated automatically
without having a page refreshed (or a trip to the server). That would be
possible to do with MS Excel web plug-in but I don't want to use plug-ins. I
want users to just access the page and don't worry if they have MS Excel or
MS plug-ins installed.
Is there a solution that would accomplish that? I can be written in any
language like ASP, JSP, DHTML, PYTHON or PHP or a third party tool. I really
don't care. I just wont to create a page with the spreadsheet like
functionality.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Tom

Peter Rilling

You would need to use a client scripting language like JavaScript.

news:ctW4d.28651$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a tool that would allow me to create a web page with the
> spreadsheet like functionality. Basically, I want to be able to type in a
> number in the cell and have all totals being calculated automatically
> without having a page refreshed (or a trip to the server). That would be
> possible to do with MS Excel web plug-in but I don't want to use plug-ins.

> want users to just access the page and don't worry if they have MS Excel

or
> MS plug-ins installed.
> Is there a solution that would accomplish that? I can be written in any
> language like ASP, JSP, DHTML, PYTHON or PHP or a third party tool. I

really
> don't care. I just wont to create a page with the spreadsheet like
> functionality.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated,
> Tom

Hans Kesting

Tom wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a tool that would allow me to create a web page with
> the spreadsheet like functionality. Basically, I want to be able to
> type in a number in the cell and have all totals being calculated
> automatically without having a page refreshed (or a trip to the
> server). That would be possible to do with MS Excel web plug-in but I
> don't want to use plug-ins. I want users to just access the page and
> don't worry if they have MS Excel or MS plug-ins installed.
> Is there a solution that would accomplish that? I can be written in
> any language like ASP, JSP, DHTML, PYTHON or PHP or a third party
> tool. I really don't care. I just wont to create a page with the
> spreadsheet like functionality.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated,
> Tom

Apart from DHTML all languages you specified are *server side* languages,
and you didn't want server side functionality....

If you don't want roundtrips, then you have to work with client-side
javascript. (or vbscript, if you want to limit your audience to IE on
windows)

Hans Kesting