Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > The underlying connection was closed

The underlying connection was closed

Rajeev Tipnis

Two separate machines:
1. Web Services Client (for load testing):
A simple .net console app (.NET 1.1 Framework)

2. Web Services Server:
A .Net web service (long running, so using server side
asynchronous web methods).
Hosted on IIS 6.0 (on Win2K3) on .NET 1.1 Framework.

I start to see the following errors when the load goes
beyond a certain threshold
(about 25 connections, I believe are open at that point).

System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed-out.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.Invok
e(String methodN
ame, Object[] parameters)

System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was
closed: The request was c
anceled.
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.Ge tWebResp
onse(WebRequest
request)
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtoco l.GetWeb
Response(WebRequ
est request)
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.Invok
e(String methodN
ame, Object[] parameters)

Now, I have googled and read "many many articles" around
this problem
including this article from KB:
us;819450

What I have experimented with so far:
- Cleared the keep-alive flag on the IIS and on the
client by overriding the
client proxy methods
- IIS 6.0 is configured to receive unlimited connections
and configured to have really
long timeouts

I havent asked for the beta-fix from Microsoft (as
mentioned in the article) yet.

My questions are:
1. Do I need this fix/patch? If I am using .NET 1.1, why
do I need this patch?
2. Will this really solve my problem?
3. I refuse to believe that a shipping Microsoft product
can have such a glaring bug
- not to mention in such a highly marketed / touted area
of "webservices"!

Rajeev Tipnis