Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Web service deployment

Web service deployment

John

Hi

I have completed my first web service and have tested it on my local win2k
server. Now I need to deploy it to a remote server run by a web hosting
company. Here are my questions;

- What files do I need to provide them and how and where do these need to be
installed?

- Do I need to change the namespace of the web service (from vs default) if
the location where it is going to be installed is; www.mydomian.com/myapp?

- How does my local client see and get the reference for the remotely
installed web service?

Thanks

Regards

Dale

Change the namespace for your own sanity, and others who will see the asmx
page online, only. It isn't required but it'll clean up all that nonsense
MS forces you to look at.

use the exampe:

[WebService(Namespace=http://www.mydomain.com/myaspp)]

but really the web address can be anything. It doesn't have to resolve and
is never called upon.

As for the files, just copy the asmx file, web.config, global.asax if you
use it, and the BIN folder. Unless you have other library files or
references you have to copy, that should do it.

Dale

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have completed my first web service and have tested it on my local win2k
> server. Now I need to deploy it to a remote server run by a web hosting
> company. Here are my questions;
>
> - What files do I need to provide them and how and where do these need to

be
> installed?
>
> - Do I need to change the namespace of the web service (from vs default)

if
> the location where it is going to be installed is; www.mydomian.com/myapp?
>
> - How does my local client see and get the reference for the remotely
> installed web service?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

John

Is there no way to protect the source?

Thanks

Regards

"Dale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Change the namespace for your own sanity, and others who will see the asmx
> page online, only. It isn't required but it'll clean up all that nonsense
> MS forces you to look at.
>
> use the exampe:
>
> [WebService(Namespace=http://www.mydomain.com/myaspp)]
>
> but really the web address can be anything. It doesn't have to resolve

and
> is never called upon.
>
> As for the files, just copy the asmx file, web.config, global.asax if you
> use it, and the BIN folder. Unless you have other library files or
> references you have to copy, that should do it.
>
> Dale

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I have completed my first web service and have tested it on my local

win2k
> > server. Now I need to deploy it to a remote server run by a web hosting
> > company. Here are my questions;
> >
> > - What files do I need to provide them and how and where do these need

> be
> > installed?
> >
> > - Do I need to change the namespace of the web service (from vs default)

> if
> > the location where it is going to be installed is;

www.mydomian.com/myapp?

> > - How does my local client see and get the reference for the remotely
> > installed web service?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Regards

Dale

You're copying the asmx file, not the asmx.cs file. The asmx file doesn't
do anything except point to the dll in the BIN folder. That provides
limited source protection since any CLR app can be disassembled with tools
provided with the framework SDK.

Dale

news:(E-Mail Removed)...