Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Http error 413 Request entity too large

Http error 413 Request entity too large

Darie Florin

I have a webservice under IIS6/Win2003 Server. When I try to invoke a method
that have a strong type dataset as parameter for update in database I
receive on the client the follwing error: Http error 413 request entity is
too large.
I mention that this dataset is very large (about 1 Mb) and if the client
is on the same machine where the server is running the code is executed
succesfully. If I call the same method with a small dataset (about 256 Kb)
the method is excuted succesfully.
I checked the settings in machine.config file and the atributte for
httpRuntime->maxRequestLength is 4096 Kb.
Another intersted point is that if I have the exception on client and I
stop the IIS and I try to invoke the method i receive the same error code
insted of connection error or somnthing like this error.
Can anyone tell me how to correct this problem and what setting I need to
change to allow the clients app to inoke this web method with large dataset?

Kondratyev Denis

Did u know size or SOAP message? Size of your dataset is 1 mb, but size of
soap message can be more 4096 Kb. For get soap message size create soap
extension which save soap message to file (by override ProcessMessage
method).

"Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a webservice under IIS6/Win2003 Server. When I try to invoke a

method
> that have a strong type dataset as parameter for update in database I
> receive on the client the follwing error: Http error 413 request entity is
> too large.
> I mention that this dataset is very large (about 1 Mb) and if the

client
> is on the same machine where the server is running the code is executed
> succesfully. If I call the same method with a small dataset (about 256 Kb)
> the method is excuted succesfully.
> I checked the settings in machine.config file and the atributte for
> httpRuntime->maxRequestLength is 4096 Kb.
> Another intersted point is that if I have the exception on client and

> stop the IIS and I try to invoke the method i receive the same error code
> insted of connection error or somnthing like this error.
> Can anyone tell me how to correct this problem and what setting I need to
> change to allow the clients app to inoke this web method with large

dataset?

Darie Florin

I don't know if this is the problem because I change
httpRuntime->maxRequestLength to 128000 Kb only for test and the same error
code is received on the clients.

"Kondratyev Denis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbkb3u$iii$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did u know size or SOAP message? Size of your dataset is 1 mb, but size of
> soap message can be more 4096 Kb. For get soap message size create soap
> extension which save soap message to file (by override ProcessMessage
> method).
>
> "Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a webservice under IIS6/Win2003 Server. When I try to invoke a

> method
> > that have a strong type dataset as parameter for update in database I
> > receive on the client the follwing error: Http error 413 request entity

is
> > too large.
> > I mention that this dataset is very large (about 1 Mb) and if the

> client
> > is on the same machine where the server is running the code is executed
> > succesfully. If I call the same method with a small dataset (about 256

Kb)
> > the method is excuted succesfully.
> > I checked the settings in machine.config file and the atributte for
> > httpRuntime->maxRequestLength is 4096 Kb.
> > Another intersted point is that if I have the exception on client

and
> > stop the IIS and I try to invoke the method i receive the same error

code
> > insted of connection error or somnthing like this error.
> > Can anyone tell me how to correct this problem and what setting I need

> > change to allow the clients app to inoke this web method with large

> dataset?

Kondratyev Denis

Can u test your solution in IIS 5.1? May be 6.0 come with new features or
bugs?

"Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I don't know if this is the problem because I change
> httpRuntime->maxRequestLength to 128000 Kb only for test and the same

error
> code is received on the clients.
>

> "Kondratyev Denis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cbkb3u$iii$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Did u know size or SOAP message? Size of your dataset is 1 mb, but size

of
> > soap message can be more 4096 Kb. For get soap message size create soap
> > extension which save soap message to file (by override ProcessMessage
> > method).
> >
> > "Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях

> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have a webservice under IIS6/Win2003 Server. When I try to invoke a

> > method
> > > that have a strong type dataset as parameter for update in database I
> > > receive on the client the follwing error: Http error 413 request

entity
> is
> > > too large.
> > > I mention that this dataset is very large (about 1 Mb) and if the

> > client
> > > is on the same machine where the server is running the code is

executed
> > > succesfully. If I call the same method with a small dataset (about 256

> Kb)
> > > the method is excuted succesfully.
> > > I checked the settings in machine.config file and the atributte

for
> > > httpRuntime->maxRequestLength is 4096 Kb.
> > > Another intersted point is that if I have the exception on client

> and
> > > stop the IIS and I try to invoke the method i receive the same error

> code
> > > insted of connection error or somnthing like this error.
> > > Can anyone tell me how to correct this problem and what setting I need

> > > change to allow the clients app to inoke this web method with large

> > dataset?

Darie Florin

Yes, with IIS 5.1 it's working. But at the client we have IIS 6 with Win2003
Server and I have this exception. Curriously, but the exception is not rised
when I try to reproduce the same case on another IIS6/Win2003 Server
machine.

"Kondratyev Denis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbm30t$8ba$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can u test your solution in IIS 5.1? May be 6.0 come with new features or
> bugs?
>

> "Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I don't know if this is the problem because I change
> > httpRuntime->maxRequestLength to 128000 Kb only for test and the same

> error
> > code is received on the clients.
> >

> > "Kondratyev Denis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cbkb3u$iii$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Did u know size or SOAP message? Size of your dataset is 1 mb, but

size
> of
> > > soap message can be more 4096 Kb. For get soap message size create

soap
> > > extension which save soap message to file (by override ProcessMessage
> > > method).
> > >
> > > "Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях

> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > method

> entity
> > is

the
> > > client

> executed

256
> > Kb)

> for

client
> > and

> > code

need
> > > dataset?

Kondratyev Denis

Try uninstall and install asp.net with aspnet_regiis.exe. One time i have
problem with .net remoting hosted in IIS and reinstalation is help me.

"Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, with IIS 5.1 it's working. But at the client we have IIS 6 with

Win2003
> Server and I have this exception. Curriously, but the exception is not

rised
> when I try to reproduce the same case on another IIS6/Win2003 Server
> machine.
>
> "Kondratyev Denis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cbm30t$8ba$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can u test your solution in IIS 5.1? May be 6.0 come with new features

or
> > bugs?
> >

> > "Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях

> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > I don't know if this is the problem because I change
> > > httpRuntime->maxRequestLength to 128000 Kb only for test and the same

> > error
> > > code is received on the clients.
> > >

> > > "Kondratyev Denis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:cbkb3u$iii$(E-Mail Removed)...

> size
> > of

> soap

ProcessMessage

invoke

database

> > entity
> > > is

> the

> > executed

> 256
> > > Kb)

atributte
> > for

> client
> > > and

error
> > > code

> need

large

Darie Florin

I have tried the following solutions but no one solves me:
1. increese maxRequestLength in machine.config file.
2. reinstall asp.net
3. increese limit upload size in IIS -> cscript adsutil.vbs SET
W3SVC/1/Root/Upload/UploadReadAheadSize 128000

I don't understand why the the method it's work fine when the client is on
the same machine with the server and IIS.

"Kondratyev Denis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbmdot$bod$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try uninstall and install asp.net with aspnet_regiis.exe. One time i have
> problem with .net remoting hosted in IIS and reinstalation is help me.
>

> "Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes, with IIS 5.1 it's working. But at the client we have IIS 6 with

> Win2003
> > Server and I have this exception. Curriously, but the exception is not

> rised
> > when I try to reproduce the same case on another IIS6/Win2003 Server
> > machine.
> >
> > "Kondratyev Denis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cbm30t$8ba$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Can u test your solution in IIS 5.1? May be 6.0 come with new features

> or
> > > bugs?
> > >

> > > "Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях

> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

same
> > > error

> > size
> > > of

> > soap

> ProcessMessage

> invoke

> database
> > > entity

if
> > the
> > > executed

(about
> > 256

> atributte
> > > for

> > client

> error

> > need

> large

Kondratyev Denis

Well, can u make small test web service for send big dateset from
Northwind db for instance? If it throw 413 error in this computer too - this
computer have bug (reinstall iis or os or install service packs or dance
around computer with voo doo drum ) If test service will be work good -
something wrong with service.
I cant think up something better
Try send message somebody from msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/

"Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have tried the following solutions but no one solves me:
> 1. increese maxRequestLength in machine.config file.
> 2. reinstall asp.net
> 3. increese limit upload size in IIS -> cscript adsutil.vbs SET
> W3SVC/1/Root/Upload/UploadReadAheadSize 128000
>
> I don't understand why the the method it's work fine when the client is on
> the same machine with the server and IIS.

Darie Florin

Of course voodoo is a solution but the client is a bank and I don't
think that they will accept this solution

"Kondratyev Denis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbn44b$int$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, can u make small test web service for send big dateset from
> Northwind db for instance? If it throw 413 error in this computer too -

this
> computer have bug (reinstall iis or os or install service packs or dance
> around computer with voo doo drum ) If test service will be work

good -
> something wrong with service.
> I cant think up something better
> Try send message somebody from msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/
>
> "Darie Florin" <(E-Mail Removed)> сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have tried the following solutions but no one solves me:
> > 1. increese maxRequestLength in machine.config file.
> > 2. reinstall asp.net
> > 3. increese limit upload size in IIS -> cscript adsutil.vbs SET
> > W3SVC/1/Root/Upload/UploadReadAheadSize 128000
> >
> > I don't understand why the the method it's work fine when the client is

on
> > the same machine with the server and IIS.

Martin

I have run into a similar problem, but with a twist - I recieve the same
error only when I require a Client Certificate at the IIS level.

When I choose to ignore client certs everything works great (even though
clients still send them) for small as well as large datasets.

I have also increased the max request to some huge amount, but it did not
help.

I should mention that I am sending the data in form of a DIME attachment.

Any ideas?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...