Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > System.Net.WebException when calling a webservice

System.Net.WebException when calling a webservice

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for your quick update. Based on my experience, you may consider "Asynchronous XML Web Service Methods". Please refer to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...viceMethod.asp for
how to do it.

Regardless of whether or not an XML Web service method is implemented asynchronously, clients can communicate with it asynchronously.
Asynchronous communication is exposed to .NET clients within the proxy class generated by the Web Services Description Language
(WSDL.EXE) tool, even if an XML Web service method is implemented synchronously. However, implementing an asynchronous XML Web
service method has no impact on the HTTP connection between the client and the server hosting the XML Web service. The HTTP
connection is neither closed nor pooled.

Also, I recommend one good article for you:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/scalenet.asp
Please refer to the following two part:
Asynchronous Invocation
Timeouts

This article also introduct many other tips in web service programming. They may not be directly helpful for this issue. But I hope it could
benefit you in the future.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

atip

Hi,

so is there any other way to keep the connection alive?
Should I forget about webservices for this solution and look at other implementations? Or should I trade some of the performance gains because IIS breaks the communication?

Thanks for the pointer to the article about performance. I will definately read it.

Regards,

Antonio.

[MSFT]

Hi Antonio,

If it was a internal application, you may consider .NET remoting instead of
web service. If iy was a application on internet, web service may be the
only choice. We have to give up some performance to gain reliability.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi Antonio,

KeepAlive=True and enlonging time out value is the correct way to keep connections alive.

For others, I think Luke has answered it.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

atip

Yan-Hong,

if that is the way to go that's what I'll do.

Thanks.

Antonio.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

You are welcome.

If there is any more questions, please feel free to post in the group.

Have a good day.