Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Webservice vs. Remoting !!

Webservice vs. Remoting !!

Stefan Rosi

Hello everybody,

I want to ask what is the best way to tansfer DataSets (or any object ) in
a local network ? Webservice or remoting ? Or any thing else ?

thanks in advance

Sunny

Hi Stefan,
if you only want to transfer a DataSet, web services is ok.

If you want more functionality, running object methods on the server,
etc., remoting is better.

Also, webservices are slower, but if you spend more time to fill the
dataset, you will not see the difference.

As a recommendation:
1. for local network - remoting over tcp, or plain sockets will be
fastest
2. for internet/wan, or for interoperability with other OSes -
webservices.

Sunny

says...
> Hello everybody,
>
> I want to ask what is the best way to tansfer DataSets (or any object ) in
> a local network ? Webservice or remoting ? Or any thing else ?
>
> thanks in advance

Stefan Rosi

Thanks Sunny

"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Stefan,
> if you only want to transfer a DataSet, web services is ok.
>
> If you want more functionality, running object methods on the server,
> etc., remoting is better.
>
> Also, webservices are slower, but if you spend more time to fill the
> dataset, you will not see the difference.
>
> As a recommendation:
> 1. for local network - remoting over tcp, or plain sockets will be
> fastest
> 2. for internet/wan, or for interoperability with other OSes -
> webservices.
>
> Sunny

> says...
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I want to ask what is the best way to tansfer DataSets (or any object )

in
> > a local network ? Webservice or remoting ? Or any thing else ?
> >
> > thanks in advance

Sherif ElMetainy

Hello

here is a good article about that topic
http://www.ingorammer.com/Articles/R...ETWEBSERV.html

Best regards,
Sherif

"Stefan Rosi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello everybody,
>
> I want to ask what is the best way to tansfer DataSets (or any object )

in
> a local network ? Webservice or remoting ? Or any thing else ?
>
> thanks in advance

Yuancai \(Charlie\) Ye

Hi,
If you want to build a high performance dotNet application, don't forget
this site at http://www.udaparts.com/articles/fastsocketpro.htm to boost
your dotNet application performance 10 times or more

--
Yuancai (Charlie) Ye

Fast and securely accessing all of remote data sources anywhere with
SocketPro using batch/queue, asynchrony and parallel computation

See 30 well-tested and real OLEDB examples

RDB, a tool for fast and securely accessing remote databases with dial-up,
cable, DSL and wireless modems anywhere
www.udaparts.com

"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Stefan,
> if you only want to transfer a DataSet, web services is ok.
>
> If you want more functionality, running object methods on the server,
> etc., remoting is better.
>
> Also, webservices are slower, but if you spend more time to fill the
> dataset, you will not see the difference.
>
> As a recommendation:
> 1. for local network - remoting over tcp, or plain sockets will be
> fastest
> 2. for internet/wan, or for interoperability with other OSes -
> webservices.
>
> Sunny

> says...
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I want to ask what is the best way to tansfer DataSets (or any object )

in
> > a local network ? Webservice or remoting ? Or any thing else ?
> >
> > thanks in advance

Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET]

You'd actually be surprised to find out that using webservices via WSE2.0 is
as fast, if not faster than remoting using the Http channel and a binary
formatter. .net remoting using a Soap formatter is slower than both, and
..Net remoting using the TCP channel is faster than everything mentioned thus
far. My point being that web services are at least as fast as remoting over
the Http channel. I was initially surprised to find this out, but if you do
a couple of tests yourself, you'll see. Also, there is a video on the
ASP.NET resource kit which bears this out.

--
- Paul Glavich
Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET