Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > WSDL file

WSDL file

Erik Cruz

Hi.

I made a simple web service with just one method called ListOrders, using
VS.NET. When I see the generated wsdl document, I see a ListOrdersResponse
method together with my original method. What is the purpose of this second
method?

TIA,
Erik Cruz

Al Reid

It is a two way conversation. The ListOrdersResponse defines the reply to the Web Service request presented in ListOrders. You ask
a question (ListOrders) and get a reply (ListOrdersResponse).

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

"Erik Cruz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> I made a simple web service with just one method called ListOrders, using
> VS.NET. When I see the generated wsdl document, I see a ListOrdersResponse
> method together with my original method. What is the purpose of this second
> method?
>
> TIA,
> Erik Cruz

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

The ListOrdersResponse in the WSDL file is not a method, it is a message.

The method includes a request and a response. ListOrders is the name of the
request, ListOrdersResponse is the name of the response. They are
correlated to each other via the method (aka wsdlperation), which is
probably also named ListOrders.

WSDL is pretty crufty to look at, especially the auto-gen'd stuff.

-D