Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > SSL and Web Services in dev. environment

SSL and Web Services in dev. environment

Andy

Hi

I need to setup a development environment where I can call XML Web Services over HTTPS. I have created a .cer file using the makecert.exe utility but have now come to a grinding halt???

I am using XP Professional for my dev. machine is this a usable platform as I can't see Certificate Services as part of the Windows Components like you can in Windows Server 2003?

Can I bind a certificate to a Virtual Directory?

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Jan Tielens

Sure you can!

First create a certificate by using the makecert.exe tool. I use following
parameters:

makecert -r -pe -n "CN=yourComputerName" -b 01/01/2000 -e 01/01/2036 -eku
1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1 -ss my -sr localMachine -sky exchange -sp "Microsoft RSA
SChannel Cryptographic Provider" -sy 12

Open your IIS management console, right click on the Default Website and
choose Properties. In the Directory Security tab click the Server
Certificate button, click next, choose Assign an existing certificate radio
button, click next and choose the newly created certificate.

You may be intrested to read following post too, it covers the same topic:
http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2.../04/41154.aspx

--
Greetz

Jan Tielens
________________________________

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I need to setup a development environment where I can call XML Web

Services over HTTPS. I have created a .cer file using the makecert.exe
utility but have now come to a grinding halt???

> I am using XP Professional for my dev. machine is this a usable platform

as I can't see Certificate Services as part of the Windows Components like
you can in Windows Server 2003?

> Can I bind a certificate to a Virtual Directory?
>
> Can anyone help me out here?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Andy

Andy

I don't seem to have a version of makecert.exe that supports the -pe switch?? After removing the -pe switch I running the command I got the following error:

C:\cert>makecert -r -n "CN=VENUS" -b 01/01/2000 -e 01/01/2036 -eku 1.3.6.1.5.5.
..3.1 -ss my -sr localMachine -sky exchange -sp "Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptogr
phic Provider" -sy 12 codeclinic.ce
Error: Can't create the key of the subject ('JoeSoft'
Faile

any further thoughts?

Jan Tielens

I use version 5.131.3617.0.

Probably you've got an older version. Check out this page for more
information:
http://www.inventec.ch/chdh/notes/14.htm

You can download a new version here:
http://tinyurl.com/2qnw5