Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Passing SqlDataReader thro a web service...

Passing SqlDataReader thro a web service...

Colin Basterfield

Hi,

I was trying to generate a c# proxy file which contained a web method that
returned SqlDataReader but the wsdl http://localhost/etc etc said it wasn't
able to do the necessary reflection, does anyone know anything about this?

I can supply more info if needed.

TIA
Colin

Guogang

DataTable, DataReader can not pass through web service.

You can use DataSet to pass data through web service.

"Colin Basterfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to generate a c# proxy file which contained a web method that
> returned SqlDataReader but the wsdl http://localhost/etc etc said it

wasn't
> able to do the necessary reflection, does anyone know anything about this?
>
> I can supply more info if needed.
>
> TIA
> Colin

Colin Basterfield

Hi,

Many thanks, why is that do you know?

Cheers
Colin

"Guogang" <nospam@no_such_domain.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> DataTable, DataReader can not pass through web service.
>
> You can use DataSet to pass data through web service.
>
> "Colin Basterfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was trying to generate a c# proxy file which contained a web method

that
> > returned SqlDataReader but the wsdl http://localhost/etc etc said it

> wasn't
> > able to do the necessary reflection, does anyone know anything about

this?

> > I can supply more info if needed.
> >
> > TIA
> > Colin

Jan Tielens

A DataReader needs a connection to the database. So it doesn't make any
sense to pass it through a webservice, since a webservice is by default
stateless. Once the webmethod invocation is finished no connection from the
client to the server will be available.

A DataSet suits this scenario very well, because it's disconnected. You fill
it with data and then you can pass it around, there's no connection to the
DB needed.

--
Greetz

Jan Tielens