Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Monitor WebService performance

Monitor WebService performance

Sunil Menon

Dear All,
Has anyone tried this tool http://www.amberpoint.com/solutions/express.shtml
are there other tools that have a similar functionality that you all recommend?

Thanks & Regards
Sunil

Jan Tielens

I haven't tried it myself, but you can take a look at the Enterprise
Instrumentation Framework:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/pr...nterprise/eif/
The Microsoft Enterprise Instrumentation framework (EIF) enables
applications built on the .NET Framework to be instrumented for
manageability in a production environment. This framework provides an
extensible event schema and unified API which leverages existing eventing,
logging and tracing mechanisms built into Windows, including WMI, the
Windows Event Log, and Windows Event Tracing. An application instrumented
with this framework can publish a broad spectrum of information such as
errors, warnings, audits, diagnostic events, and business-specific events.
In addition, Enterprise Instrumentation enables tracing by business-process
or application service, and can provide statistics such as average execution
time for a given process or service.

--
Greetz,
Jan
> Dear All,
> Has anyone tried this tool

http://www.amberpoint.com/solutions/express.shtml
> are there other tools that have a similar functionality that you all

recommend?

> Thanks & Regards
> Sunil

Dhruv

The problem with using any instrumentation "framework" is that you
have to code these things into your webservice and application. This
means more work in my development cycle.. that has been a consistent
issue with all management "frameworks" and APIs. AmberPoints solution
is focussed on webservices and doesnt not involve any code changes..
In that, it definitely is a better tool to get my job done.

"Jan Tielens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<#(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I haven't tried it myself, but you can take a look at the Enterprise
> Instrumentation Framework:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/pr...nterprise/eif/
> The Microsoft Enterprise Instrumentation framework (EIF) enables
> applications built on the .NET Framework to be instrumented for
> manageability in a production environment. This framework provides an
> extensible event schema and unified API which leverages existing eventing,
> logging and tracing mechanisms built into Windows, including WMI, the
> Windows Event Log, and Windows Event Tracing. An application instrumented
> with this framework can publish a broad spectrum of information such as
> errors, warnings, audits, diagnostic events, and business-specific events.
> In addition, Enterprise Instrumentation enables tracing by business-process
> or application service, and can provide statistics such as average execution
> time for a given process or service.
>
> --
> Greetz,
> Jan
> __________________________________
> Read my weblog: http://weblogs.asp.net/jan
> "Sunil Menon" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Dear All,
> > Has anyone tried this tool

> http://www.amberpoint.com/solutions/express.shtml
> > are there other tools that have a similar functionality that you all

> recommend?
> >
> > Thanks & Regards
> > Sunil

ricko70

The beauty of AmberPoint Express is that you don't need any API to
monitor your Web services. It's non-invasive. It doesn't add any
additional code, APIs or libraries to your services. It discovers
services as an IIS module, loads them in the Express window and
you'you clikc the service you want to manage, confidure them (set
faults, counters - etc) and manage them with a single click.

It's free, Microsoft themselves are going to distribute it with
Whidbey and it's available now.

Thx - Rick