Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Web service sessions never go away after timeout

Web service sessions never go away after timeout

Joseph Crum

I have a problem with an intranet web service (that I developed using VS.NET
2003) which under some conditions causes the service to hang, resulting in
timeouts (the exception text says "The operation has timed-out"). The
primary consumer of this web service is a Windows Service which tries to
access the Web Service every 2 minutes. When the web service stops
responding, the sessions created by the Windows Service never seem to go
away. That is, in Perfmon, the "Current Anonymous Users" item of the "Web
Service" object on that machine increases by 1 every 2 minutes. I'm running
IIS 5.0 on W2K Pro (with all current service packs and patches), which is
limited to 10 connections, so after about 10 timeouts, the Windows Service
app starts receiving a new error, "The request failed with HTTP status 403:
Access Forbidden". A little more research reveals that it's error "403.9 -
Access Forbidden: Too many users are connected".

I have tried disabling HTTP Keep-alives, with no effect.

I need to address the web service hang-up, but first I would like to correct
this issue of orphaned user sessions. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Joe
jrcrum<no spam>@solutia.com

Old soldiers never die, they just fade away. Aardvark Computer Support 2 06-19-2009 10:58 PM
AMCNGP Will Never Go Away lowdes MCSE 4 08-28-2005 08:24 PM
Digital Photos Never Fade they're just Filed Away Evad Digital Photography 20 02-08-2005 06:02 PM
Java VERSION problems develop, but never go away!! edo Java 3 02-01-2004 03:50 PM

Advertisments