Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Limit the number of asyn web service calls

Limit the number of asyn web service calls

Paul Welter

I have a web service the makes calls asynchronously to a server to download
files. The user has the ability to select many files to download. When
making the web service call using the proxy class, the async call goes on
the thread pool. The problem is that the thread pool can have 25 threads.
So, the user could potentially be downloading 25 files at a time. This will
overwhelm the clients internet connection. I'd like to find an easy way to
limit the number of async calls while queuing the rest without blocking the
UI thread. How do I change the number of threads the thread pool can have?
Do I have to implement my own thread pool? If so, how would I do that and
how would I tell the proxy class to use my thread pool?

thanks
Paul

MSFT

Hi Paul,

The ThreadPool class in .NET only support to set minthread number, not with
maxthreads number. I think you may consider create a queue object in your
application, when user want to download files, you may add the file list to
the queue component and let this component to control the number of files
which will be download at same time. Will this help on the situation?

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Perl Asyn Todd English Perl Misc 19 10-04-2006 06:55 PM
Calling Web Service that calls other Web Service with Windows Authentication manuelserpabrandao@gmail.com ASP .Net Security 1 06-14-2006 08:55 PM
2511 commserver asyn.(68 pin) cable to a switch aaabbb16@hotmail.com Cisco 1 12-08-2005 03:06 PM
Asyn sockets Eustaquio Rangel de Oliveira Jr. Ruby 6 03-27-2005 09:14 AM
Web Service that calls an external Web Service Isaias Formacio Serna ASP .Net Security 5 02-02-2004 07:38 AM

Advertisments