Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Web services are not working on win2003 server Enterprise edition

Reply
Thread Tools

Web services are not working on win2003 server Enterprise edition

 
 
Kiran
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2003
Hi
I have created a simple "Hello world" ASP.NET web
service for tesing purpose. This runs well on windows2000
machines but if I deploy in the same way onto Windows 2003
server enterprise edition it does not work!!.
IE throws The page cannot be found (HTTP Error 404 )

Other .Net applications(like console apps and Form based
apps) run well on this machine.

Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.

Thanks in advance
Kiran



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jacob Yang [MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2003
Hi Kiran,

Thank you for using Microsoft MSDN managed newsgroup.

Would you please tell me how do you deploy your web service onto the
Windows 2003 Server? Is it possible for you to try to create a web service
on the Windows 2003 Server? Please try to test the following sample on the
Windows 2003 server. Can you reproduce the same error?

HOW TO: Build and Use XML Web Services by Using Visual Studio .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;315935

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! ĘC www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Bristowe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2003
Kiran,

I would recommend verifying your IIS configs; make sure the necessary
site/vroot is established.

Cheers,

John
http://www.bristowe.com/

> Hi
> I have created a simple "Hello world" ASP.NET web
> service for tesing purpose. This runs well on windows2000
> machines but if I deploy in the same way onto Windows 2003
> server enterprise edition it does not work!!.
> IE throws The page cannot be found (HTTP Error 404 )
>
> Other .Net applications(like console apps and Form based
> apps) run well on this machine.
>
> Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Kiran



 
Reply With Quote
 
Marco Neri
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2003
Try to call "aspnet_regiis.exe -i" from Visual studio .net 2003 Command
prompt.
Bye

Marco.

Kiran wrote:
> Hi
> I have created a simple "Hello world" ASP.NET web
> service for tesing purpose. This runs well on windows2000
> machines but if I deploy in the same way onto Windows 2003
> server enterprise edition it does not work!!.
> IE throws The page cannot be found (HTTP Error 404 )
>
> Other .Net applications(like console apps and Form based
> apps) run well on this machine.
>
> Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Kiran
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2003
"Kiran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:02b701c39a79$bf9502c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I have created a simple "Hello world" ASP.NET web
> service for tesing purpose. This runs well on windows2000
> machines but if I deploy in the same way onto Windows 2003
> server enterprise edition it does not work!!.
> IE throws The page cannot be found (HTTP Error 404 )
>
> Other .Net applications(like console apps and Form based
> apps) run well on this machine.
>
> Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.

By default, IIS does not allow you to run anything (secure mode)...

you need to configure IIS to run ASP.NET so go to administrative tools,
configure this computer, and enable IIS for ASp.NET and for static pages
(html)

> Thanks in advance
> Kiran
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kiran
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2003
Hi Jacob,
Thanks for your reply

I created the web service same way as the sample and
deployed on 2000 server by creating the virtual directory
and pointing to the folder containing related files, it
worked fine
If I do the same thing on windows 2003 server machine it
does not work
Do I have to do some thing with IIS setting specifically
for win 2003 server if YES what kind of setting I need to
do


Thanks in advance
Kiran
>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Kiran,
>
>Thank you for using Microsoft MSDN managed newsgroup.
>
>Would you please tell me how do you deploy your web

service onto the
>Windows 2003 Server? Is it possible for you to try to

create a web service
>on the Windows 2003 Server? Please try to test the

following sample on the
>Windows 2003 server. Can you reproduce the same error?
>
>HOW TO: Build and Use XML Web Services by Using Visual

Studio .NET
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-

us;315935
>
>Best regards,
>
>Jacob Yang
>Microsoft Online Partner Support
>Get Secure! ĘC www.microsoft.com/security
>This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and

confers no rights.
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2003
Hi
Thnaks for the reply
Can you be more specific as where exactly can I enable
IIS for ASp.NET and for static pages(under which tab in
IIS manager console).

Thanks
Kiran

>-----Original Message-----
>"Kiran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:02b701c39a79$bf9502c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> I have created a simple "Hello world" ASP.NET web
>> service for tesing purpose. This runs well on

windows2000
>> machines but if I deploy in the same way onto Windows

2003
>> server enterprise edition it does not work!!.
>> IE throws The page cannot be found (HTTP Error 404 )
>>
>> Other .Net applications(like console apps and Form based
>> apps) run well on this machine.
>>
>> Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.

>By default, IIS does not allow you to run anything

(secure mode)...
>
>you need to configure IIS to run ASP.NET so go to

administrative tools,
>configure this computer, and enable IIS for ASp.NET and

for static pages
>(html)
>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Kiran
>>
>>
>>

>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kiran
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2003
Hi
Thanks for the reply
I tried it but did not help


Kiran

>-----Original Message-----
>Try to call "aspnet_regiis.exe -i" from Visual

studio .net 2003 Command
>prompt.
>Bye
>
>Marco.
>
>Kiran wrote:
>> Hi
>> I have created a simple "Hello world" ASP.NET web
>> service for tesing purpose. This runs well on

windows2000
>> machines but if I deploy in the same way onto Windows

2003
>> server enterprise edition it does not work!!.
>> IE throws The page cannot be found (HTTP Error 404 )
>>
>> Other .Net applications(like console apps and Form

based
>> apps) run well on this machine.
>>
>> Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Kiran
>>
>>
>>

>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kiran
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2003
Hi

I can access the html page succefully from the vroot
but not the actual asmx file which has a simple hello
world method in it


Kiran

>-----Original Message-----
>Kiran,
>
>I would recommend verifying your IIS configs; make sure

the necessary
>site/vroot is established.
>
>Cheers,
>
>John
>http://www.bristowe.com/
>
>> Hi
>> I have created a simple "Hello world" ASP.NET web
>> service for tesing purpose. This runs well on

windows2000
>> machines but if I deploy in the same way onto Windows

2003
>> server enterprise edition it does not work!!.
>> IE throws The page cannot be found (HTTP Error 404 )
>>
>> Other .Net applications(like console apps and Form based
>> apps) run well on this machine.
>>
>> Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Kiran

>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jacob Yang [MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2003
Hi Kiran,

Based on my research and experience, the following Knowledge Base article
is useful to you. Please refer to it carefully.

HOW TO: Enable and Disable Dynamic Content in IIS 6.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315122
"...
By default, when Internet Information Services (IIS) is installed on any
version of the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, IIS only serves static
content (HTML). When you request dynamic content, such as Active Server
Pages (ASP) or ASP.NET pages, you receive one of the following error
messages:

HTTP Error 404 - File Not Found
-or-

HTTP Error 404- File or Directory not found
To permit IIS to serve other types of content, the administrator must
unlock this content in the Web service extensions node in the IIS
management console. To do this, either enable a pre-existing Web service
extension or add a new Web service extension.
..."

Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! ĘC www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
using Membership on production server (Copy Web Site tool) - Used to SQL Server 2000 enterprise edition Louis R. ASP .Net 5 01-14-2009 06:21 AM
Promote Win2003 R2 in infraestructure Win2003 SP1 =?Utf-8?B?SWdvciBSb2RyaWd1ZXM=?= MCSE 3 06-20-2007 03:50 AM
Microsoft Virtual Server / Win2003 Enterprise 64-bit Licensing sushibot@gmail.com Windows 64bit 2 09-24-2006 08:19 PM
.NET framework 1.1 and Win2003 Server, Web Edition Russ ASP .Net 2 06-19-2004 06:42 PM
DotNet Web Services Support on 64bit Win2003 Tolga Erdogus ASP .Net Web Services 1 11-13-2003 06:15 AM



Advertisments