Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Most efficient way to return multiple values to client

Most efficient way to return multiple values to client

Michael Hetrick

I'm writing an Active Directory web service and need to return multiple
properties of a single user. The web service receives the username and
looks up the properties of the user in Active Directory. This works fine.

If I look-up the first name, last name, email, telephone, city, state, and
zip, should I create a dataset or create a user object in the service to
return to the client? I am looking for the most efficient way to do this -
an on-the-fly dataset or serialization/deserialization of a user
class/object.

Thanks-
Michael

MSFT

Hi Michael,

I prefer to create a new class in web service to return the info about a
user. DataSet also need to be serialization/deserializtion from webservice
to client. When programming on client side, it is more clear and easy to
use with a class than a dataset. For example:

MyUser.Telephone

VS

MyDataset.Tables("MyUsers").rows(1)("Telephone")

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Michael Hetrick

Thanks. Is it more of a code readability convention or is it really more
efficient?

Michael

"MSFT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Michael,
>
> I prefer to create a new class in web service to return the info about a
> user. DataSet also need to be serialization/deserializtion from webservice
> to client. When programming on client side, it is more clear and easy to
> use with a class than a dataset. For example:
>
> MyUser.Telephone
>
> VS
>
> MyDataset.Tables("MyUsers").rows(1)("Telephone")
>

> Luke
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)

MSFT

Hi Michael,

I mean code readability in my previous email. With Datset, you may need
more code on client side; With a class, you may need more code on server
side. Regarding the efficent, I think there is no big difference between
them.