Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Accessing WebServices from a web app hosted inside Outlook XP

Accessing WebServices from a web app hosted inside Outlook XP

Jay B

Ok, it turns out that "outlook:" moniker is actually
causing our problem.

When you first load a page into Outlook XP, the
document.URL value is the same as in the Outlook address
bar, for example: "outlook:My Test App".

This is the code from webservice.htc that sees the problem:

function ensureWsdlUrl(szService)
{
if (szService.indexOf("://") > 0)
return szService;
var baseUrl = element.document.URL;
var qi = baseUrl.lastIndexOf("?");
var url2 = qi > 0 ? baseUrl.substr(0, qi) : baseUrl;
return url2.substr(0, baseUrl.lastIndexOf("/"))
+ "/" + szService + (szService.indexOf(".")
>=0 ? "" : ".asmx?wsdl");

}

This looks to be a bug with Outlook XP, rather than the
webservice.htc.

I'm curious as to what the recommended workaround to this
problem is.

I could always output the actual URL of each page in a
javascript variable, and then modify webservice.htc to
check that variable, but I really don't want to have to do
that.

Any ideas?

Jay B

access through Outlook
>XP (i.e. Under Outlook Today they create a folder, and

set its homepage to
>the URL of the app suite).
>
>When they do this, all of our webservices seem to fail on

them. They seem
>to be failing the PrincipalPermission Role Demand, for

some reason. Other
>people have reported SOAP errors, as well.
>
>They are being authenticated fine using the Windows

Integrated
>Authentication on the aspx pages. I swear I've actually

seen the webservice
>return data, despite the errors popping up as well..

which has me wondering
>whether they're passing the Role Demand once, but it's

checking a second
>time at some point when they aren't in the proper

Principal?

>I'm also wondering if the "outlook:" moniker may be

causing a problem in the
>WebService.htc?
>
>If anyone can shed any kind of light on this, it would be

much appreciated.

>Jay B
>

>.

Jay B

Well, I expected at least some kind of acknowledgement
from SOMEONE of the problem, and perhaps an official
answer... seems like there's very little help going on in
these newsgroups unless you're an MSDN Subscriber. Which
makes it real nice for some of us developers who's IT
staff maintains a death grip on MSDN Subscriber
information...

Anyway..

I've chosen to solve this problem by rendering a small
registered client script block during page load that
checks the document.URL for the 'outlook:' moniker, and if
present, resets the document.URL to the value of the
absolute uri. It's an additional web hit, and it
increases the size of every one of our pages, but hey,
it's another MS bug we have to work around.

internal string OutlookXPFixScript( )
{
return "if( document.URL.substr
(0, == 'outlook:' )\n{\n\tdocument.URL = \'" +
Request.Url.AbsoluteUri + "\';\n}\n";
}

Jay B