Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > reference.vb...and the web.config file?

reference.vb...and the web.config file?

Hazzard

What is the reference.vb file. How is it created? Can it or is there a
reason for it to be modified?

And the web. config file? For tracing, I have to alter the web.config file
but there isn't one in my project. I understand it inherits a web.config
file but from where?

I just looked at 3 books on web services, as created by VS.NET and none of
the books covered or explained any of this.

Thanks,
-hazz

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Hazzard,

"reference.vb" is a proxy class and it is created from service1.wsdl in the
same directory. VS.NET will generate it when we add a web reference. You
may modify it if you want create a Client That Uses WS-Security. For more
information, please check:
WS-Security Authentication and Digital Signatures with Web Services
Enhancements
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...secauthwse.asp

Here is link about how to set up the Web.config configuration file. You may
check it for your reference.

Application Root Directory Configuration File (Web.config)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconapplicationrootdirectoryconfigurationfilewebc onfig.asp

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "Hazzard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: reference.vb...and the web.config file?
| Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:16:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
|
| What is the reference.vb file. How is it created? Can it or is there a
| reason for it to be modified?
|
| And the web. config file? For tracing, I have to alter the web.config file
| but there isn't one in my project. I understand it inherits a web.config
| file but from where?
|
| I just looked at 3 books on web services, as created by VS.NET and none of
| the books covered or explained any of this.
|
| Thanks,
| -hazz

Hazzard

Thank you so much Lewis for your prompt and useful reply.
I had been trying to change some code in the reference.vb file to effect a
database call in an asynchronous web service. And it always broke the
previously working app.
I don't really have a computer science degree, I just imagined myself one on
T.V.

Appreciatively,
-Greg

"Lewis Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:U%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Hazzard,
>
> "reference.vb" is a proxy class and it is created from service1.wsdl in

the
> same directory. VS.NET will generate it when we add a web reference. You
> may modify it if you want create a Client That Uses WS-Security. For more
> information, please check:
> WS-Security Authentication and Digital Signatures with Web Services
> Enhancements
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...secauthwse.asp
>
> Here is link about how to set up the Web.config configuration file. You

may
> check it for your reference.
>
> Application Root Directory Configuration File (Web.config)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
> l/cpconapplicationrootdirectoryconfigurationfilewebc onfig.asp
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Best regards,
> Lewis

rights.

> --------------------
> | From: "Hazzard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | Subject: reference.vb...and the web.config file?
> | Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:16:04 -0700
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
> |
> | What is the reference.vb file. How is it created? Can it or is there a
> | reason for it to be modified?
> |
> | And the web. config file? For tracing, I have to alter the web.config

file
> | but there isn't one in my project. I understand it inherits a web.config
> | file but from where?
> |
> | I just looked at 3 books on web services, as created by VS.NET and none

of
> | the books covered or explained any of this.
> |
> | Thanks,
> | -hazz

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Hazzard,

I'm very glad that the information helped resolve the problem.

Thanks very much for participating the community. ^_^

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "Hazzard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Re: reference.vb...and the web.config file?
| Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:49:54 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
|
| Thank you so much Lewis for your prompt and useful reply.
| I had been trying to change some code in the reference.vb file to effect a
| database call in an asynchronous web service. And it always broke the
| previously working app.
| I don't really have a computer science degree, I just imagined myself one
on
| T.V.
|
| Appreciatively,
| -Greg
|
| "Lewis Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:U%(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Hi Hazzard,
| >
| > "reference.vb" is a proxy class and it is created from service1.wsdl in
| the
| > same directory. VS.NET will generate it when we add a web reference. You
| > may modify it if you want create a Client That Uses WS-Security. For
more
| > information, please check:
| > WS-Security Authentication and Digital Signatures with Web Services
| > Enhancements
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...secauthwse.asp
| >
| > Here is link about how to set up the Web.config configuration file. You
| may
| > check it for your reference.
| >
| > Application Root Directory Configuration File (Web.config)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
| > l/cpconapplicationrootdirectoryconfigurationfilewebc onfig.asp
| >
| > Hope this helps.
| >
| > Best regards,
| > Lewis
| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Hazzard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| > | Subject: reference.vb...and the web.config file?
| > | Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:16:04 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
| > |
| > | What is the reference.vb file. How is it created? Can it or is there a
| > | reason for it to be modified?
| > |
| > | And the web. config file? For tracing, I have to alter the web.config
| file
| > | but there isn't one in my project. I understand it inherits a
web.config
| > | file but from where?
| > |
| > | I just looked at 3 books on web services, as created by VS.NET and
none
| of
| > | the books covered or explained any of this.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | -hazz
| > |