Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Using PHP in a .Net environment?

Using PHP in a .Net environment?

Joshua Coady

Hello,

I am working on a project that needs to use an opensource code library
written in PHP and uses MySQL. I dont want to have to rewrite the entire
thing in C#. Are there any options available?

Things I have thought of but either havent found examples of or am not
sure will work:

- Have a server running the PHP code that has a webservice. Then I would
just consume that service to use it in ASP.Net

- Find some library that can run PHP and give my C# code access to it

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

Josh

William Ryan

Josh:

I can't speak to PHP, but for the last three weeks, we've been running a
pretty large app on a MySQL backend.

These may help...

http://www.mysql.com/articles/dotnet/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlnet/

For what it's worth,getting stuff done web wise in .NET is a breeze. One of
the cats in networking I work with is a died in the wool "Everything
Microsoft Sucks" type. He worked on an inventory app for in-house tracking
running on MySQL, using PHP and it took him just under a month to get it
done. We were trying to use Infragistics to give the new one a nice UI, and
once we got the connection working, the re-write, with a much more
compelling front end took all of about 8 hours. The disparity probably
isn't totally typical, but you can definitely do a lot with ASP.NET, and do
it very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Bill
"Joshua Coady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project that needs to use an opensource code library
> written in PHP and uses MySQL. I dont want to have to rewrite the entire
> thing in C#. Are there any options available?
>
> Things I have thought of but either havent found examples of or am not
> sure will work:
>
> - Have a server running the PHP code that has a webservice. Then I would
> just consume that service to use it in ASP.Net
>
> - Find some library that can run PHP and give my C# code access to it
>
> Thoughts, anyone?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

Joshua Coady

That would help, except that I dont have to do anything specifically
with MySQL. The PHP code does all the DB stuff. But thanks for the
article link, it will be useful for another project.

Josh

Josh:

I can't speak to PHP, but for the last three weeks, we've been running a
pretty large app on a MySQL backend.

These may help...

http://www.mysql.com/articles/dotnet/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlnet/

For what it's worth,getting stuff done web wise in .NET is a breeze. One of
the cats in networking I work with is a died in the wool "Everything
Microsoft Sucks" type. He worked on an inventory app for in-house tracking
running on MySQL, using PHP and it took him just under a month to get it
done. We were trying to use Infragistics to give the new one a nice UI, and
once we got the connection working, the re-write, with a much more
compelling front end took all of about 8 hours. The disparity probably
isn't totally typical, but you can definitely do a lot with ASP.NET, and do
it very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Bill
"Joshua Coady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project that needs to use an opensource code library
> written in PHP and uses MySQL. I dont want to have to rewrite the entire
> thing in C#. Are there any options available?
>
> Things I have thought of but either havent found examples of or am not
> sure will work:
>
> - Have a server running the PHP code that has a webservice. Then I would
> just consume that service to use it in ASP.Net
>
> - Find some library that can run PHP and give my C# code access to it
>
> Thoughts, anyone?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

Joshua Coady

I'm not sure if I was clear enough. Let me rephrase: Is there an easy way to call a PHP method or script from within C#?

Josh

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , (E-Mail Removed) says...
Hello,

I am working on a project that needs to use an opensource code library
written in PHP and uses MySQL. I dont want to have to rewrite the entire
thing in C#. Are there any options available?

Things I have thought of but either havent found examples of or am not
sure will work:

- Have a server running the PHP code that has a webservice. Then I would
just consume that service to use it in ASP.Net

- Find some library that can run PHP and give my C# code access to it

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

Josh

Lloyd Dupont

something like Process.Start("...") ?

"Joshua Coady" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm not sure if I was clear enough. Let me rephrase: Is there an easy way

to call a PHP method or script from within C#?

> Josh
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , (E-Mail Removed)

says...
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project that needs to use an opensource code library
> written in PHP and uses MySQL. I dont want to have to rewrite the entire
> thing in C#. Are there any options available?
>
> Things I have thought of but either havent found examples of or am not
> sure will work:
>
> - Have a server running the PHP code that has a webservice. Then I would
> just consume that service to use it in ASP.Net
>
> - Find some library that can run PHP and give my C# code access to it
>
> Thoughts, anyone?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

Joshua Coady

And use Process.StandardOutput to read the results? This has potential...

In article <#(E-Mail Removed)>, net.galador@ld says...
something like Process.Start("...") ?

"Joshua Coady" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm not sure if I was clear enough. Let me rephrase: Is there an easy way

to call a PHP method or script from within C#?

> Josh
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , (E-Mail Removed)

says...
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project that needs to use an opensource code library
> written in PHP and uses MySQL. I dont want to have to rewrite the entire
> thing in C#. Are there any options available?
>
> Things I have thought of but either havent found examples of or am not
> sure will work:
>
> - Have a server running the PHP code that has a webservice. Then I would
> just consume that service to use it in ASP.Net
>
> - Find some library that can run PHP and give my C# code access to it
>
> Thoughts, anyone?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

Lloyd Dupont