Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Firewall problems

Firewall problems

Ron Douglas

I have a very simple webservice that I want to access.
It works fine when there is no firewall in the way, but
when there is a firewall I have a problem. I get the
initial connection, but any further communication is
blocked. It appears to initally use port 80 and then
switch to another port. Is there a way to force the
webservice to stay on port 80?

Here is a sample of what I am doing:
Imports System.Web.Services
Imports System.IO
Imports ADODB

<System.Web.Services.WebService( _
Namespace:="http://Walkthrough/XmlWebServices/", _
Public Class Register1
Public Function RegisterUser(ByVal MAC As String,
ByVal Facility As String, ByVal Address As String, ByVal
Address2 As String, ByVal City As String, ByVal ST As
String, ByVal Zip As String, ByVal FirstName As String,
ByVal LastName As String, ByVal Phone As String, ByVal
Email As String) As Int16
Dim con835 As New Connection
Dim cm835 As New Command
Dim rs837 As New Recordset
Try
con835.Open
("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Data
Source=c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ValidateUser\validateuse rs.mdb;"
)
Dim recordsEffected As Object
Dim strSQL As String = "INSERT INTO users
(mac, facility, address, address2, city,st, zip, last,
first, email, phone, registered, usesleft) " & _
"VALUES ('" & MAC
& "','" & Facility & "','" & Address & "','" & Address2
& "','" & City & "','" & ST & "','" & Zip & "','" &
LastName & "','" & FirstName & "','" & Email & "','" & _
Phone & "','NO','10')"

' Execute SQL statement
con835.Execute(strSQL, recordsEffected)
con835.Close()