Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > HTTP 503 (Service Unavailable) error when calling a webservice inside the network

HTTP 503 (Service Unavailable) error when calling a webservice inside the network

Dilip

Hello

This problem has been driving me mad for the past few days. I am
basically writing a generic utility in .NET/C# that can read any WSDL
file (over internet, intranet, localdir etc), generate dynamic proxy
on the fly and allow the user to invoke the methods.

It works perfectly *except* in these scenarios:

1) If I try to call a webservice deployed on another machine _within_
our network (LAN), WebResponse.GetResponse() fails with a Server
Unavailable Error (503).
2) To solve the above if I specify the correct proxy settings using
WebProxy.Address property, the WSDL file is retrieved alright.
2A) However if I assign WebRequest.Proxy with
WebProxy.GetDefaultProxy() then the WSDL retrieval fails again. But
lets for the moment ignore this and assume I am ok with step 2.
3) After I successfully create the dynamic proxy (using CodeDOM et
al), the MethodInfo.Invoke(objectinstance, argsforthemethod) blows up
with a WebException. I am attaching the stack trace in the bottom of
this mail.
4) I tried setting the Proxy property of SoapHttpClientProtocol
(objectinstance.GetProperty("Proxy") et al) but that has no effect.
5) Everything works PERFECTLY WELL if I access a public domain WSDL on
the internet (with or without the proxy settings -- it doesnt seem to
matter).

So bottom line is can somebody *please* tell me why this is not
working in the LAN scenario? and that too only when I invoke the
method and not when I retrieve the WSDL file?

Stacktrace follows:
==================
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503:
Service Unavailable.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)
at WebServices.dynamicProxyGenerator.DynamicProxy.AMS WebService.echoHeartBeat(String
bstrEchoData)

Additional Info:
================
WebException.Response ---> System.Net.HttpWebResponse
WebException.Source ---> System.Web.Services
WebException.Status ---> ProtocolError
WebException.TargetSite.Name ---> ReadResponse

I ran Simon Fell's (www.pocketsoap.com) excellent tcpTrace utility.
In the LAN case I am able to see a GET request for my WSDL file (GET
/amswebservice/amswebservice.wsdl HTTP/1.1) and the subsequent
response. But when a method is invoked it doesn't even seem to hit
the webserver. Its intercepted somewhere in between and I can't
figure out where.

thanks a ton!
--Dilip

Dilip

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dilip) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hello
> [snipped...]
>
> So bottom line is can somebody *please* tell me why this is not
> working in the LAN scenario? and that too only when I invoke the
> method and not when I retrieve the WSDL file?

I fixed this myself. Apparently I neglected to set the same proxy
server configuration on SoapHttpClientProtocol.Proxy property.

I still can't understand one point though. I basically copied the
entire proxy server settings found on IE's Tools->Internet
Options->Connection->LAN Settings page into
SoapHttpClientProtocol.Proxy property. However the application fails
if I simply call WebProxy.GetDefaultProxy(). what is the difference
between these 2 ways of setting up proxies? Why does the former work
while the latter fails?

thanks
--Dilip

http access produces 503 Rog Python 1 08-05-2009 08:14 PM
return HttpStatusCode.ServiceUnavailable in the context.context.Response.StatusCode (Http response code 503) Flip Rayner ASP .Net 1 01-23-2007 06:35 AM
HTTP Status 503 - Servlet action is currently unavailable... help me? Pasha Java 2 05-12-2006 06:39 AM
Please give solution for this : HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable harinath ASP .Net 0 02-07-2006 11:49 AM
ERROR: 'HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable' =?Utf-8?B?VG9tYXMgS2VwaWM=?= ASP .Net 11 04-05-2005 04:39 PM

Advertisments