Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > NullReferenceException Error - Wizard Template

NullReferenceException Error - Wizard Template

Morris Neuman

Hi,
I have a web page with a master page and a contents page. On the contents
page I have a wizard as defined below:
<asp:Wizard ID="Wizard1" runat="server" ActiveStepIndex="1"
DisplayCancelButton="True" Height="85px" Width="647px"
OnNextButtonClick="NextButtonClick_SkipStep"
OnActiveStepChanged="OnActiveStepChanged_SaveCurrP revIndex"

CancelDestinationPageUrl="~/SystemAdminOnly/CMTables/OutcallSchedule/ManageOutcallSchedule-LoadNumbers.aspx"
DisplaySideBar="False">
<StepStyle HorizontalAlign="Left" VerticalAlign="Top" />
<StartNavigationTemplate>
<asp:Button ID="StartNextButton" runat="server"
CommandName="MoveNext" Visible="false"
Text="Next" />
<asp:Button ID="CancelButton" runat="server"
CausesValidation="False"
CommandName="Cancel" Text="Cancel" />
</StartNavigationTemplate>
<WizardSteps>
<asp:WizardStep runat="server" StepType="Start" title="Step 1">
<code style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10pt; color:
navy; ">Step1...</code>
</asp:WizardStep>
<asp:WizardStep runat="server" StepType="Start" title="Step 2">
<code style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10pt; color: navy;
">Step2...</code>
</asp:WizardStep>
</asp:WizardSteps>
<SideBarStyle VerticalAlign="Top" />
<StepNavigationTemplate>
<asp:Button ID="StepPreviousButton" runat="server"
CausesValidation="False"
CommandName="MovePrevious" Text="Previous" />
<asp:Button ID="StepNextButton" runat="server"
CommandName="MoveNext"
Text="Next" Visible="false"/>
<asp:Button ID="CancelButton" runat="server"
CausesValidation="False"
CommandName="Cancel" Text="Cancel" />
</StepNavigationTemplate>
</asp:Wizard>

I also have a script defined to set display of the StepNextButton in the
StepNavigationTemplate.
{
if (!IsPostBack)
{
TextBox3.Text = "0";
TextBox4.Text = "0";
}
}

protected void OnActiveStepChanged_SaveCurrPrevIndex(object sender,
EventArgs e)
{
if (IsPostBack)
//NOT first time
{
TextBox3.Text = TextBox4.Text;
TextBox4.Text = Wizard1.ActiveStepIndex.ToString();
}

if (Wizard1.ActiveStepIndex == 1)
{
Button btn =
(Button)Wizard1.FindControl("StepNavigationTemplat eContainerID$StepNextButton");
btn.Visible = true;
}

if (Wizard1.ActiveStepIndex >1)
{
Button btn =
(Button)Wizard1.FindControl("StepNavigationTemplat eContainerID$StepNextButton");
btn.Visible = false;
}
}

When this page is activated, I get the following error:
to an instance of an object.

Source Error:
Line 53: {
Line 54: Button btn =
(Button)Wizard1.FindControl("StepNavigationTemplat eContainerID$StepNextButton");
Line 55: btn.Visible = true;
Line 56: }
Line 57:

Can you tell me why and what I need to change?

--
Thanks for your help.

--
Thanks
Morris

Thomas Sun [MSFT]

Hi Morris,

Based on the code you posted, you set Wizard's ActiveStepIndex to "1" When
we request the page first time, and the control has not been initialized in
OnActiveStepChanged event, so we receive the exception.

In this case, you can find control and set its property in PageLoad event
when page is requested first time.
{
if (!IsPostBack)
{
TextBox3.Text = "0";
TextBox4.Text = "0";

//
//TO DO: Find Control and set its property when page is
requested first time
//

}

}

protected void OnActiveStepChanged_SaveCurrPrevIndex(object sender,
EventArgs e)
{
if (IsPostBack)
//NOT first time
{
TextBox3.Text = TextBox4.Text;
TextBox4.Text = Wizard1.ActiveStepIndex.ToString();

//
//TO DO: Find Control and set its property when page is NOT
requested first time.
//
if (Wizard1.ActiveStepIndex == 1)
{
Button btn =

(Button)Wizard1.FindControl("StepNavigationTemplat eContainerID$StepNextButto
n");
btn.Visible = true;
}

if (Wizard1.ActiveStepIndex > 1)
{
Button btn =

(Button)Wizard1.FindControl("StepNavigationTemplat eContainerID$StepNextButto
n");
btn.Visible = false;
}

}
}

I look forward to receiving your test results.

--

Best Regards,
Thomas Sun

Microsoft Online Partner Support

ications.

With newsgroups, MSDN subscribers enjoy unlimited, free support as opposed
to the limited number of phone-based technical support incidents. Complex
issues or server-down situations are not recommended for the newsgroups.
Issues of this nature are best handled working with a Microsoft Support
Engineer using one of your phone-based incidents.

Morris Neuman

It worked.
--
Thanks for your help.