Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Wait Cursor without Ajax controls.

Reply
Thread Tools

Wait Cursor without Ajax controls.

 
 
Mike Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2009
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but a search on the subject
turned out zero results. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
direction. I was handed a project at work that requires ASP.Net and although
I have been in this business for almost 30 years, I'm not really an
experienced ASP.Net programmer.

On several of the web forms there are multiple datagrids that display data
for a selected item in another datagrid (e,g, select an invoice from one
datagrid and all parts used for that invoice show up in the other datagrid).
Since the main datagrid can contain 40+ pages of data, I was asked to
include Ajax in the project to eliminate postback flickering. I have that
done and it's working great, although I have never used Ajax before. My
problem is that before I added Ajax to the mix, the progress bar on IE would
show that the page is being refreshed, and with Ajax the progress bar does
nothing because of the way Ajax refreshes the controls. I have been looking
in several Pro series books and on-line for code that will create a wait
cursor that will display while the page is refreshing during postback. I
found the Ajax toolkit, with the modal form (which is something in the line
of what I am after), but that only seems to work with 3.5. We are using VS
2005 with .Net 2.0 and the Ajax 1.0 extensions. Does anyone know where I can
find some information or code that will emulate a wait cursor so the users
don't think that the site is not responding during postback?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Daniel Ulfe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2009
Hello,

Are you using UpdatePanel?... if so... you check the control UpdateProgress.

Daniel.

Mike Johnson wrote:
> I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but a search on the subject
> turned out zero results. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
> direction. I was handed a project at work that requires ASP.Net and although
> I have been in this business for almost 30 years, I'm not really an
> experienced ASP.Net programmer.
>
> On several of the web forms there are multiple datagrids that display data
> for a selected item in another datagrid (e,g, select an invoice from one
> datagrid and all parts used for that invoice show up in the other datagrid).
> Since the main datagrid can contain 40+ pages of data, I was asked to
> include Ajax in the project to eliminate postback flickering. I have that
> done and it's working great, although I have never used Ajax before. My
> problem is that before I added Ajax to the mix, the progress bar on IE would
> show that the page is being refreshed, and with Ajax the progress bar does
> nothing because of the way Ajax refreshes the controls. I have been looking
> in several Pro series books and on-line for code that will create a wait
> cursor that will display while the page is refreshing during postback. I
> found the Ajax toolkit, with the modal form (which is something in the line
> of what I am after), but that only seems to work with 3.5. We are using VS
> 2005 with .Net 2.0 and the Ajax 1.0 extensions. Does anyone know where I can
> find some information or code that will emulate a wait cursor so the users
> don't think that the site is not responding during postback?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
>
> Mike
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2009
Thank you! Yes I am using an UpdatePanel but never having used Ajax I wasn't
sure what all the properties and methods were. And as usual, it always turns
out to be something super simple.

Mike

"Daniel Ulfe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Are you using UpdatePanel?... if so... you check the control

UpdateProgress.
>
> Daniel.
>
> Mike Johnson wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but a search on the subject
> > turned out zero results. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
> > direction. I was handed a project at work that requires ASP.Net and

although
> > I have been in this business for almost 30 years, I'm not really an
> > experienced ASP.Net programmer.
> >
> > On several of the web forms there are multiple datagrids that display

data
> > for a selected item in another datagrid (e,g, select an invoice from one
> > datagrid and all parts used for that invoice show up in the other

datagrid).
> > Since the main datagrid can contain 40+ pages of data, I was asked to
> > include Ajax in the project to eliminate postback flickering. I have

that
> > done and it's working great, although I have never used Ajax before. My
> > problem is that before I added Ajax to the mix, the progress bar on IE

would
> > show that the page is being refreshed, and with Ajax the progress bar

does
> > nothing because of the way Ajax refreshes the controls. I have been

looking
> > in several Pro series books and on-line for code that will create a wait
> > cursor that will display while the page is refreshing during postback. I
> > found the Ajax toolkit, with the modal form (which is something in the

line
> > of what I am after), but that only seems to work with 3.5. We are using

VS
> > 2005 with .Net 2.0 and the Ajax 1.0 extensions. Does anyone know where I

can
> > find some information or code that will emulate a wait cursor so the

users
> > don't think that the site is not responding during postback?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tobias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-24-2009
Have you found any solution for this? I'm looking for the same thing. It's
easy to get the UpdateProgress to show an indicator and some text somewhere
on the page. But change cursor seems to be hard...it couldn't be that hard to
do that right?

"Mike Johnson" wrote:

> Thank you! Yes I am using an UpdatePanel but never having used Ajax I wasn't
> sure what all the properties and methods were. And as usual, it always turns
> out to be something super simple.
>
> Mike
>
> "Daniel Ulfe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > Are you using UpdatePanel?... if so... you check the control

> UpdateProgress.
> >
> > Daniel.
> >
> > Mike Johnson wrote:
> > > I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but a search on the subject
> > > turned out zero results. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
> > > direction. I was handed a project at work that requires ASP.Net and

> although
> > > I have been in this business for almost 30 years, I'm not really an
> > > experienced ASP.Net programmer.
> > >
> > > On several of the web forms there are multiple datagrids that display

> data
> > > for a selected item in another datagrid (e,g, select an invoice from one
> > > datagrid and all parts used for that invoice show up in the other

> datagrid).
> > > Since the main datagrid can contain 40+ pages of data, I was asked to
> > > include Ajax in the project to eliminate postback flickering. I have

> that
> > > done and it's working great, although I have never used Ajax before. My
> > > problem is that before I added Ajax to the mix, the progress bar on IE

> would
> > > show that the page is being refreshed, and with Ajax the progress bar

> does
> > > nothing because of the way Ajax refreshes the controls. I have been

> looking
> > > in several Pro series books and on-line for code that will create a wait
> > > cursor that will display while the page is refreshing during postback. I
> > > found the Ajax toolkit, with the modal form (which is something in the

> line
> > > of what I am after), but that only seems to work with 3.5. We are using

> VS
> > > 2005 with .Net 2.0 and the Ajax 1.0 extensions. Does anyone know where I

> can
> > > find some information or code that will emulate a wait cursor so the

> users
> > > don't think that the site is not responding during postback?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >
> > >

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to tell if cursor is sqlite.Cursor or psycopg2.Cursor dmaziuk Python 3 01-25-2011 04:52 AM
Declare Cursor error while implementing SCROLL CURSOR invy C Programming 4 12-28-2006 02:35 PM
Changing DEFAULT cursor to WAIT cursor in ASP =?Utf-8?B?VG9tYXMgS2VwaWM=?= ASP .Net 1 04-05-2005 07:42 PM
Hourglass ('wait') cursor causes IE to crash =?Utf-8?B?QkQgSm9uZXM=?= ASP .Net 0 10-26-2004 04:05 PM
Cursor wait, hide or show =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZWU=?= ASP .Net 1 12-12-2003 05:09 PM



Advertisments