Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Button_Click .Update command

Button_Click .Update command

Morris Neuman

Hi,

I have a button (Update) and hve the click event defined as below. The
update event does not give me an error, however the record is not updated
either. Both AccessDataSource1 and SqlDataSource1 are defined as
AccessDataSource and SqlDataSource controls.

I have 2 textboxes (NumToDial and AttID). The textboxes and button are as
defined below.

<asp:TextBox ID="AttID" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:TextBox ID="NumToDial" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:Button ID="Update" runat="server" onclick="Update_Click"
Text="Update" />

protected void Update_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
string id = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["MyDataSource"];
Control datasourcecontrol = this.FindControl(id);

if (id.Equals("SqlDataSource1"))
{
GridView1.DataSourceID = "SqlDataSource1";
SqlDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = '" + NumToDial.Text + "' WHERE
(Attendant.AttendantID)= '" + AttID.Text + "'";
GridView1.DataBind();
GridView1.Visible = true;
}
else if (id.Equals("AccessDataSource1"))
{
GridView1.DataSourceID = "AccessDataSource1";
AccessDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = '" + NumToDial.Text + "' WHERE
(Attendant.AttendantID)= '" + AttID.Text + "'";
GridView1.DataBind();
GridView1.Visible = true;
}
}

I have tried different ways to define the parameters but keep getting syntax
errors when I do. When I do a similar .SelectCommand it works, however the
..Update give no error but the record is not updated either.

Can you please tell me what is wrong with the .UpdateCommand?
--
Thanks for your help.
Morris

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Hi Morris,

Thanks for your post.

The issue is because the Update method on data source control is not
called. UpdateCommand will only be used in Update method. It is documented
at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ols.sqldatasou
rce.update.aspx.

The Update method is automatically called by the GridView, DetailsView, and
FormView controls during postback if the data has been changed. For data
that has been changed in other controls, the Update method can be
explicitly called on postback during the Load event.

In this case, please change the Update_Click method to:
protected void Update_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
string id = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["MyDataSource"];
Control datasourcecontrol = this.FindControl(id);

if (id.Equals("SqlDataSource1"))
{
GridView1.DataSourceID = "SqlDataSource1";
SqlDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = '" + NumToDial.Text + "' WHERE
(Attendant.AttendantID)= '" + AttID.Text + "'";
// Update is required here
SqlDataSource1.Update();
GridView1.DataBind();
GridView1.Visible = true;
}
else if (id.Equals("AccessDataSource1"))
{
GridView1.DataSourceID = "AccessDataSource1";
AccessDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = '" + NumToDial.Text + "' WHERE
(Attendant.AttendantID)= '" + AttID.Text + "'";
// Update is required here
AccessDataSource1.Update();
GridView1.DataBind();
GridView1.Visible = true;
}
}

In addition, I found that your task to update a the data source can be
simplified by ControlParameter
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...rols.controlpa
rameter.aspx). Here is an example code for you to reference:
<asp:TextBox ID="AttID" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:TextBox ID="NumToDial" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:Button ID="Update" runat="server" onclick="Update_Click"
Text="Update" />

<asp:sqldatasource
id="SqlDataSource1"
runat="server"
connectionstring="(SQL database connection string key)"
updatecommand="UPDATE Attendant SET attendant.ExtensionToDial =
@NumToDial WHERE Attendant.AttendantID = @AttID">
<selectparameters>
<asp:controlparameter name="NumToDial" controlid="NumToDial"
propertyname="Text"/>
<asp:controlparameter name="AttID" controlid="AttID"
propertyname="Text"/>
</selectparameters>
</asp:sqldatasource>

<asp:accessdatasource
id="AccessDataSource1"
runat="server"
datafile="(Path of access db file)"
updatecommand="UPDATE Attendant SET attendant.ExtensionToDial =
@NumToDial WHERE Attendant.AttendantID = @AttID">
<selectparameters>
<asp:controlparameter name="NumToDial" controlid="NumToDial"
propertyname="Text"/>
<asp:controlparameter name="AttID" controlid="AttID"
propertyname="Text"/>
</selectparameters>
</asp:accessdatasource>

<asp:gridview id="GridView1"
datasourceid="<%$ AppSettings:MyDataSource %>"
runat="server">
</asp:gridview>

Code behind:
protected void Update_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (GridView1.DataSourceId.Equals("SqlDataSource1"))
{
SqlDataSource1.Update();
}
else if (GridView1.DataSourceId.Equals("AccessDataSource1" ))
{
AccessDataSource1.Update();
}
GridView1.DataBind();
GridView1.Visible = true;
}

Please let us know if it works. Thanks.

Regards,
Hongye Sun ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

*
*
Engineer within*2 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs.../aa948874.aspx

Morris Neuman

Thanks I added the .Udate() command and it worked. I have used the
datasource command bound to a gridview.

In the click event, I have concatanated the text values of textboxes in the
update and select statement.

How would I define the parameters in the click event? I tried the following
to add parameters but get error.
SqlDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = @ExtensionToDial WHERE AttendantID= @AttID";
SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("@ExtensionToD ial",
SqlDbType.NVarChar, 32, NumToDial.Text);
SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("@AttID",
SqlDbType.NVarChar, 25, AttID.Text);

Can you tell me what the correct syntax would be to use parameters with the
datasource definition in the click event?
--
Thanks
Morris

""Hongye Sun [MSFT]"" wrote:

> [...]
> {
> AccessDataSource1.Update();
> }
> GridView1.DataBind();
> GridView1.Visible = true;
> }
>
> Please let us know if it works. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Hongye Sun ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> (E-Mail Removed).

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs...#notifications.
>
> Note: MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
> Engineer within 2 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
> that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions. Issues of this
> nature are best handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer
> by contacting Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at

Thanks for your reply.

Please change the code into:
SqlDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = @ExtensionToDial WHERE AttendantID= @AttID";
SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("ExtensionToDi al",
SqlDbType.NVarChar, 32, NumToDial.Text);
SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("AttID",
SqlDbType.NVarChar, 25, AttID.Text);

There is no need to add "@" prefix when adding parameters.

Please let me know if it works. Thanks.

Regards,
Hongye Sun ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(E-Mail Removed).
*

Morris Neuman

Hi,

When I tried the proposed code, I get he following error:
Compilation Error
to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS1501: No overload for method 'Add' takes '4'
arguments

Source Error:

Line 74: // Update is parameterized as follows
Line 75: SqlDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = @ExtensionToDial WHERE AttendantID= @AttID";
Line 76: SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("ExtensionToDi al",
SqlDbType.NVarChar, 32, NumToDial.Text);
Line 77: SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("AttID",
SqlDbType.NVarChar, 25, AttID.Text);
Line 78: SqlDataSource1.Update();
Source File:
c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\CMWebManager\SystemAdminOnly\Co pies\Test-with
Butto_Click-n-BrowseFile Examples.aspx Line: 76

Also how would I create these parameters for AccessDataSource? Just change
the @XXX to question mark (?)? Would I also need to replace the
"ExtensionToDial" and "AttID" to "?" each?
--
Thanks
Morris

""Hongye Sun [MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hi Morris,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Please change the code into:
> SqlDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
> Attendant.ExtensionToDial = @ExtensionToDial WHERE AttendantID= @AttID";
> SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("ExtensionToDi al",
> SqlDbType.NVarChar, 32, NumToDial.Text);
> SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("AttID",
> SqlDbType.NVarChar, 25, AttID.Text);
>
> There is no need to add "@" prefix when adding parameters.
>
> Please let me know if it works. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Hongye Sun ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> (E-Mail Removed).

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Hi Morris,

Thanks for your reply.

I copied your original code and just deleted "@" prefix.

The correct syntax should be:
---------------------------------------
SqlDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = @ExtensionToDial WHERE AttendantID= @AttID";
SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("ExtensionToDi al", SqlDbType.NVarChar,
NumToDial.Text);
SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("AttID", SqlDbType.NVarChar,
AttID.Text);
---------------------------------------
Please make sure that the SqlDbType parameter is the same as what the
column is in database.

For AccessDataSource, it has a restriction of paramters' order. Any
parameterized SQL queries that you specify in the SelectCommand,
UpdateCommand, InsertCommand, and DeleteCommand properties must match the
order of any Parameter objects that are in the corresponding parameter
collection.

However in this case, the order we specify the parameters is the same as
the order in UpdateCommand sql statement. So you can use the same way above
for AccessDataSource.

Thanks.

Regards,
Hongye Sun ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(E-Mail Removed).
*

Morris Neuman

Hi,

1) I got the _click event update to work for SqlDataSource by using the
TypeCode.String instaed of the SqlDBType.NVarChar even though the db is sql
and the field is nvarchar. Can you tell my why TypeCode worked and not
SqlDBType?

2) I may also be required to update an Access table. I am using the
following in the _click command, however though I don't get any error, the
record does NOT update. I even replaced the "NumToDial" and "AttID" in the
parameters group with "?" but still does not work. Can you tell me why?

Code for the _Click event
GridView1.DataSourceID = "AccessDataSource1";
AccessDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = ? WHERE AttendantID= ?";
AccessDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("NumToDial" ,
TypeCode.String, NumToDial.Text);
AccessDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("AttID", TypeCode.String,
AttID.Text);
AccessDataSource1.Update();
GridView1.DataBind();
GridView1.Visible = true;

Error:

--
Thanks
Morris

""Hongye Sun [MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hi Morris,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I copied your original code and just deleted "@" prefix.
>
> The correct syntax should be:
> ---------------------------------------
> SqlDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
> Attendant.ExtensionToDial = @ExtensionToDial WHERE AttendantID= @AttID";
> SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("ExtensionToDi al", SqlDbType.NVarChar,
> NumToDial.Text);
> SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("AttID", SqlDbType.NVarChar,
> AttID.Text);
> ---------------------------------------
> Please make sure that the SqlDbType parameter is the same as what the
> column is in database.
>
> For AccessDataSource, it has a restriction of paramters' order. Any
> parameterized SQL queries that you specify in the SelectCommand,
> UpdateCommand, InsertCommand, and DeleteCommand properties must match the
> order of any Parameter objects that are in the corresponding parameter
> collection.
>
> However in this case, the order we specify the parameters is the same as
> the order in UpdateCommand sql statement. So you can use the same way above
> for AccessDataSource.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Hongye Sun ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> (E-Mail Removed).

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Hi Morris,

Thanks for your post.

For the 1) question, it is because that the update parameters of
SqlDataSource control is System.Web.UI.WebControls.Parameter type, which
can only accept TypeCode and DBType argument. SqlDBType should not be used
here. It is copied from your original sample code by mistake.

For 2), The code looks fine. We tested similar code in our lab and both "?"
and "@" parameters works properly for access database (mdb file). In order
to verfiy if the access database works correctly on your side, please use
Visual Studio to run an Update command as following steps:

1. Double click mdb file in the Solution Explorer and the mdb file will be
opened in Server Explorer. (If it is also opened in Office Access, please
close it)
2. Right click it in Server Explorer and select New Query.
3. In the Add Table window, select Attendant table and click Add button,
then close the window.
4. Right click on the query panel, select to change type to Update.
5. Copy the update statement "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = ? WHERE AttendantID= ?" into the query panel
and replace the "?" into real value.
6. Right click and select Execute SQL to run the update operation.
7. Right click on the table in Server Explorer and select Retrieve Data to
check if the data has been updated correctly.

Another option for you is to send us your mdb file and we will do a
complete test on it in our lab.

Please let us know if there is anything unclear. Thanks.

Regards,
Hongye Sun ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(E-Mail Removed).
*

Morris Neuman

Hi,

I did as suggested and tried the query directly via the Solution Explorer
and it worked. I also tried it in Access and it also worked.

In my web page I tried as a concatenated query as below and it works.
AccessDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
Attendant.ExtensionToDial = '" + NumToDial.Text + "' WHERE
(Attendant.AttendantID)= '" + AttID.Text + "'";

However when I try the code below, I don't get and error but it does not work.

AccessDataSource1.UpdateCommand = "UPDATE Attendant SET
ExtensionToDial = ? WHERE (AttendantID= ?)";
AccessDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("NumToDial" ,
TypeCode.String, NumToDial.Text);
AccessDataSource1.UpdateParameters.Add("AttID", TypeCode.String,
AttID.Text);

I have the following namespaces defined. Not sure if it has somthing to do
with that.
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.SqlClient" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.OleDb" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="System.IO" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.Odbc" %>

Thanks for the followup and help.

--
Thanks
Morris

""Hongye Sun [MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hi Morris,
>
> Thanks for your post.
>
> For the 1) question, it is because that the update parameters of
> SqlDataSource control is System.Web.UI.WebControls.Parameter type, which
> can only accept TypeCode and DBType argument. SqlDBType should not be used
> here. It is copied from your original sample code by mistake.
>
> For 2), The code looks fine. We tested similar code in our lab and both "?"
> and "@" parameters works properly for access database (mdb file). In order
> to verfiy if the access database works correctly on your side, please use
> Visual Studio to run an Update command as following steps:
>
> 1. Double click mdb file in the Solution Explorer and the mdb file will be
> opened in Server Explorer. (If it is also opened in Office Access, please
> close it)
> 2. Right click it in Server Explorer and select New Query.
> 3. In the Add Table window, select Attendant table and click Add button,
> then close the window.
> 4. Right click on the query panel, select to change type to Update.
> 5. Copy the update statement "UPDATE Attendant SET
> Attendant.ExtensionToDial = ? WHERE AttendantID= ?" into the query panel
> and replace the "?" into real value.
> 6. Right click and select Execute SQL to run the update operation.
> 7. Right click on the table in Server Explorer and select Retrieve Data to
> check if the data has been updated correctly.
>
> Another option for you is to send us your mdb file and we will do a
> complete test on it in our lab.
>
> Please let us know if there is anything unclear. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Hongye Sun ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> (E-Mail Removed).

Hongye Sun [MSFT]

Hi Morris,

Thanks for your reply.

We have built a similiar website as yours to try to reproduce the issue.
However, the code your provided works correctly to our lab's mdb file
(Access database file). Can you send us your mdb file and the parameter
values (NumToDial.Text and AttID.Text) to reproduce the issue? If it is too
big, please clear the data in table other than "Attendant".

Please understand that reproducing the issue is a very important step for
us to resolve this issue. My email address is
(E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.'.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,
Hongye Sun ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(E-Mail Removed).
*

Confirmation After Button_Click A.M ASP .Net 3 01-20-2004 08:25 PM
Dynamically loaded User Controls - problem with button_click event Tim T ASP .Net 7 11-01-2003 05:44 PM
Button_Click event in user control not firing on page Tim Thomas ASP .Net 3 10-30-2003 09:12 PM
Button_Click change Kenneth ASP .Net 4 08-22-2003 11:59 AM
Button causes Form_Load to fire, before Button_Click Paul Aspinall ASP .Net 1 08-12-2003 07:12 PM

Advertisments