Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Extending WebControl - PropertyGrid to hold LinkButton

Extending WebControl - PropertyGrid to hold LinkButton

Kevin

Hi there,

I am trying to inherit from an existing webcontrol, however I want to add a
property to the control that will be exposable in the property grid. The
property in question has a type of LinkButton. I want to define the
LinkButton that this control must use(I want to hook it's click event up) at
design time. However I'm having problems with setting it. The property
appears, and lists any current LinkButtons on my webform in a dropdown list,
which is great, but when I select a value, I get the following error similar
to:

"System.Web.HttpParseException: Cannot create an object of type
'System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton' from its string representation
'linkButtonGo' for the 'GoButton' property."

I think I have to implement a TypeConverter or something along those lines,
but I haven't had any success with that becasue quite frankly im not too sure
exaclty what I need to do to prevent this exception. Can someone please help
me out here?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin