Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > DeviceSpecific filter "isPocketIE" does not work

DeviceSpecific filter "isPocketIE" does not work

Justin Roberts

Hi

I am developing a mobile web VB asp.net application in VS 2005. The forms
are mobile web forms. I have a mobile web configuration page (web.config).
In one of my forms I have a DeviceSpecific control so that I can choose to
use an asp:TextBox when PocketIE is detected, otherwise I want to use a
mobile:TextView control.

Here is a snippet of my asp code:

<mobileanel ID="pnlReport" Runat="server" Font-Name="Arial"
Font-Size="Small" Paginate="True">
<mobileeviceSpecific id="DeviceSpecificEdit" runat="server">
<Choice Filter="isPocketIE">
<ContentTemplate>
<asp:TextBox id="txtReport" runat="server"
TextMode="MultiLine" Rows="5" Wrapping="Wrap"/>
</ContentTemplate>
</Choice>
<Choice>
<ContentTemplate>
<mobile:TextView ID="txtReport" Runat="server"
Wrapping="Wrap">
</mobile:TextView>
</ContentTemplate>
</Choice>
</mobileeviceSpecific>
</mobileanel>

Unfortunately the Device Specific filter never works on the Pocket PC 2003
SE Emulator that ships with VS2005. The asp.net code always runs the default
choice. I have discovered that the Internet explorer on Pocket PC seems to
return a MobileCapabilities browser type of "MSIE".

I have looked everywhere for examples and cannot see anything I have done
wrong. How do I ensure that PocketPc 2003 will run the "isPocketIE" device
code and not always choose the default choice?

I should note that my web.config file contains amongst it's device filters:
<filter name="isPocketIE" compare="Browser" argument="Pocket IE" /> I have
also tried using "isHTML32" but that doesn't work either.

Has anyone come across this before and discovered what to do. Any help would
be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Regards
Justin.