Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Can I embed an IE control in a webpage?

Can I embed an IE control in a webpage?

jim

"Phil H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> [...]
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > Even though you said "Don't ask why - it'll just make ya mad".

>> > I'm curious on why in the world would you want the IE control embedded
>> > in
>> > a web page?

>> The goal (as crazy as it sounds) is actually to have a web page with a
>> webbrowser control on it.
>>
>> As far as I can tell (with the horrifically vague set of user specs I
>> have
>> been given) the goal of the webpage is to teach veiwers how to use an
>> activex control in a webpage using the webbrowser control. From what I
>> have
>> been able to glean from this jumble of specs, the end goal for this web
>> page
>> is to tie together form and webform programming and move on to other
>> activeX
>> controls in later lessons.
>>
>> The idea of using the webbrowser control was one thought up by senior
>> management (who, of course, still can't program the time on their
>> microwaves). Evidentally the "big boss" thought it would be "cool" to
>> host
>> one control inside another and the webbrowser control was the first thing
>> that fell from his crumbling grey mass.
>>
>> I was assigned this task because they thought it would be a good learning
>> project for me. (Lucky me.)
>>
>> Anyway....I have seen some controls hosted in web pages, and they seem to
>> need some type of class id. Is there a place that I can get this class
>> id?
>> I assume it would be different for different versions of IE. I also
>> assume
>> that version 6 of IE would be the most widely distributed version at this
>> time, and would probably be the one to us.
>>
>> Know of any code samples that would show hosting activex controls in a
>> div
>> or adding/removing activex controls dynamically? A dynamically created,
>> DIV-encased, hosted webbrowser control would be the holy grail of code
>> samples for this project.
>>
>> I am Googling my butt off, but have not found a single example of a
>> webbrowser control being hosted in a web page.
>>
>> Thanks so much for your help.
>>
>> jim

> Hi Jim
>
> You have my sympathies if you are being driven by a boss who asks the
> impossible because he/she doesn't know what he/she is talking about.
>
> The best approach is to go back and agree what the actual (broader)
> objective is and allow you to find the best solution.
>
> I think you need to make it clear what the difference is between
> client-side and server-side technology. ASP.NET uses Java-script to
> create intelligent client-side behaviour to avoid round-trips (e.g.
> validation controls) but it is not equipped to go much beyond that.
> Active-X control simulation is not in its porfolio.
>
> Unless of course anyone knows any different, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the sound advice. Unfortunately sound advice is only useful when
dealing with beings capable of logical thought.

What *should* have happened was that management should have come up with a
goal and left it to the project leaders and workers to accomplish the goal.
Micromanagement like this will kill morale - and eventually the company.

Still looking though.....

jim

Donn Felker

Well, you could replicate the browsing process by using the
HttpWebRequest object in .NET. You could create a UI that resembles a
browswer and then recreate the requests and responses. NOT FUN AT ALL,
but you COULD do it.

Larry Bud

On Sep 14, 7:47 pm, "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Michael Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:696ab$46ea9ab6$438cc35d$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > jim wrote:
> >> OK...Don't ask why - it'll just make ya mad. It makes me mad just
> >> thinking about it. I swear....if I didn't need this job, I'd tell 'em
> >> where to embed their webbrowser control. But, since I do need it, here
> >> are my questions...

> >> Can I embed an IE activex control in a webpage? I basically would like
> >> to be able to embed the same component used to create IE-based browsers
> >> into a webpage.

> >> Since IE is already on Windows PCs already, would they have to load or
> >> register the component? I wouldn't think so.

> >> Can I put it in a DIV that will resize with the page?

> >> I Googled for an example of doing this (embedding an IE webbrowser
> >> control in a freakin' webpage), but have come up dry so far. Anybody
> >> know of any code showing such lunacy?

> >> Thanks for your help!

> >> jim

> > What is the goal? Wouldn't you get the same effect by just embedding the
> > activex control directly rather than embedding the IE control and loading
> > the activex control in it?

> The goal (as crazy as it sounds) is actually to have a web page with a
> webbrowser control on it.

Could you fake it? Would they know if you did?

I mean, you could take static images of IE, arrange them on a table,
have a text box "URL" input, and retrieve a web page... Are they dumb
enough to fall for it?

jim

"Larry Bud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> On Sep 14, 7:47 pm, "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Michael Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:696ab$46ea9ab6$438cc35d$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > What is the goal? Wouldn't you get the same effect by just embedding
>> > the
>> > activex control directly rather than embedding the IE control and
>> > the activex control in it?

>> The goal (as crazy as it sounds) is actually to have a web page with a
>> webbrowser control on it.

> Could you fake it? Would they know if you did?
>
> I mean, you could take static images of IE, arrange them on a table,
> have a text box "URL" input, and retrieve a web page... Are they dumb
> enough to fall for it?

They're dumb alright, but maybe not that dumb. I won't know what URL they
may type in to test the webpage.

jim

jim

"Donn Felker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Well, you could replicate the browsing process by using the
> HttpWebRequest object in .NET. You could create a UI that resembles a
> browswer and then recreate the requests and responses. NOT FUN AT ALL,
> but you COULD do it.

I don't think it would act like a web page. From what I understand about
the HttpWebRequest object, it only returns the HTML (like the Inet control
used to in VB6). And, that wouldn't prove his point of using a webbrowser
control inside another webbrowser control.

These people will surf the webpage containing the control from within the
control just to prove the concept.

Well, they would - but they won't now because it just won't work. You can't
use a webbrowser control inside a webpage. It simply won't work.

At least that's what I'm telling him.

jim