Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > creating a setup to install into GAC, where can I find an example?

creating a setup to install into GAC, where can I find an example?

Bob

Could anyone suggest me some examples/articles on creating a setup program
in VS.NET that can install the assembly into the GAC? I have done some
search and research myself and have some basic understanding on how to
create a setup program. All the articles about Windows Installer 2.0 is the
best way to install your assembly into GAC but I haven't found one shows
what exactly I need to do differently in my VS.NET setup project in order
for it to stick the assembly into GAC.

Bob

mike

its actually very simple

Create a setup project.
Right click on the installer project and go to view --> file system
Right click in the left pan and add global assembly cache folder
click on the GAC folder and then in the right pane, right click and add
assembly or project output (make sure all is strong named before adding
otherwise the installer will fail).

hth
mike

" Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could anyone suggest me some examples/articles on creating a setup program
> in VS.NET that can install the assembly into the GAC? I have done some
> search and research myself and have some basic understanding on how to
> create a setup program. All the articles about Windows Installer 2.0 is

the
> best way to install your assembly into GAC but I haven't found one shows
> what exactly I need to do differently in my VS.NET setup project in order
> for it to stick the assembly into GAC.
>
> Bob

Bob

Ahh, there it is, really very simple. Thanks a lot.

Mike, do you know if it's possible to make the setup program automatically
uninstall an older version of the same program when you run a newer .msi?
By default it says "Another verion of this product is already installed.
Installation of this verion cannot continue. To configure or remove the
existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control
Panel." I would think it's not a stretch to program the installer (custom
action?) to uninstall the older version?

Thanks again.
Bob

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> its actually very simple
>
> Create a setup project.
> Right click on the installer project and go to view --> file system
> Right click in the left pan and add global assembly cache folder
> click on the GAC folder and then in the right pane, right click and add
> assembly or project output (make sure all is strong named before adding
> otherwise the installer will fail).
>
> hth
> mike
>
> " Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Could anyone suggest me some examples/articles on creating a setup

program
> > in VS.NET that can install the assembly into the GAC? I have done some
> > search and research myself and have some basic understanding on how to
> > create a setup program. All the articles about Windows Installer 2.0 is

> the
> > best way to install your assembly into GAC but I haven't found one shows
> > what exactly I need to do differently in my VS.NET setup project in

order
> > for it to stick the assembly into GAC.
> >
> > Bob

mike

I am not sure - Havent really investigated that too much as we are allowing
multiple versions for my project. But I would imagine that it can be done
through a custom action. If I come across anything I will certainly post
back here with results...

Mike

" Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%230md%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ahh, there it is, really very simple. Thanks a lot.
>
> Mike, do you know if it's possible to make the setup program automatically
> uninstall an older version of the same program when you run a newer .msi?
> By default it says "Another verion of this product is already installed.
> Installation of this verion cannot continue. To configure or remove the
> existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control
> Panel." I would think it's not a stretch to program the installer (custom
> action?) to uninstall the older version?
>
> Thanks again.
> Bob
>
> "mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > its actually very simple
> >
> > Create a setup project.
> > Right click on the installer project and go to view --> file system
> > Right click in the left pan and add global assembly cache folder
> > click on the GAC folder and then in the right pane, right click and add
> > assembly or project output (make sure all is strong named before adding
> > otherwise the installer will fail).
> >
> > hth
> > mike
> >
> > " Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Could anyone suggest me some examples/articles on creating a setup

> program
> > > in VS.NET that can install the assembly into the GAC? I have done

some
> > > search and research myself and have some basic understanding on how to
> > > create a setup program. All the articles about Windows Installer 2.0

is
> > the
> > > best way to install your assembly into GAC but I haven't found one

shows
> > > what exactly I need to do differently in my VS.NET setup project in

> order
> > > for it to stick the assembly into GAC.
> > >
> > > Bob

Bob

Someone else told me to set the RemovePreviousVersions to true and increment
the version # in the setup project properties. I tried and the installer
ran sucessfully and removed the older version. However, the newer version
doesn't show up in GAC until I do a "repair" of the install... Just so you
know.

Thanks