Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > collapsing parts of a page.

collapsing parts of a page.

Aussie Rules

Hi,

I have seen on many web sites the ability to collapse/expand sections of
content. Web site such as face book etc have this feature.

I want to have a section on a page do this, as the content is not always
needed by the user. If they want to see it they can expand that section, if
not, then it doesn't take up any space.

Any tips on how to do this ?

Thanks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Aussie,

Regarding on the collapsing parts of the page question you mentioned, I
think there are two command approach to achive this functionality:

1. Use server-side code to show/hide the certain part of the page. You can
put some ASP.NET Panel or html <div> with "runat='server'" setting. Thus,
you can use some button or other postback event's code to show and hide
the certain Panel or Div.

2. If you do not want the page to postback everytime you change the certain
page fragment's visibility, you can use client script to do the work. The
css style "display" attribute can be used to show/hide a certain html
element. I have written a simple test page to demonstrate this, you can
have a look to see whether it performs as you want:

=======aspx template====================

<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
<script type="text/javascript" >
function showhide(btn, divid)
{
var div = document.getElementById(divid);

if(btn.value == "-")
{
div.style.display = "none";
btn.value = "+";
}else
{
div.style.display = "";
btn.value = "-";
}
}

</script>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
/>
div1<br />
<asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button" /><br />
<asp:Image ID="Image1" runat="server"
ImageUrl="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/i/images/bbc_ws_promo.gif" />

/>
div2<br />
<asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton1"
runat="server">LinkButton</asp:LinkButton><br />
<asp:Button ID="Button2" runat="server" Text="Button" />
<asp:HyperLink ID="HyperLink1"
runat="server">HyperLink</asp:HyperLink>
<asp:Image ID="Image2" runat="server"
ImageUrl="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/i/images/bbc_ws_promo.gif" />

</form>

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Aussie,

Does the suggestion in my last reply helps some? If you have any further
questions on this, please feel free to post here.