Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > formview.InsertItem

formview.InsertItem

Trapulo

I need to call formview.insertitem. If an error occurs, I handle my
objectdataSource.Inserted event
and then set e.ExceptionHandled = True

The problem is that after InsertItem, my formview is in readonly mode. Why?
I need to switch in readonly mode (or, in fact, in editmode) after an insert
succeed, but the control may remain in insertmode if an error occurs...

thanks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Trapulo,

As for the FormView control, when you perform Insert Operation on it, if
you haven't explicitly specify FormView's new mode, it will always change
it to the DefaultMode you set on the FormView(generally it is the
"ReadOnly" mode). To make the Formview remain "InsertMode" in your case,
you can use either of the following means:

#1 FormViewInsertedEventArgs has a "KeepInInsertMode" property which can
help make the FormView remain "InsertMode" after inserted event

========================
protected void FormView1_ItemInserted(object sender,
FormViewInsertedEventArgs e)
{
if (e.Exception != null)
{
Response.Write("<br/>Exception: " + e.Exception.Message);

e.ExceptionHandled = true;
e.KeepInInsertMode = true;
}

}
===============

#2 Or you can manually call "FormView.ChangeMode" to set the FormView's
sequential Mode(this means is not limited to Inserting case only):

protected void ObjectDataSource1_Inserted(object sender,
ObjectDataSourceStatusEventArgs e)
{

if (e.Exception != null)
{
Response.Write("<br/>Exception: " + e.Exception.Message);

e.ExceptionHandled = true;

FormView1.ChangeMode(FormViewMode.Insert);
}

}
==============================

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Trapulo

Hello Steven,
I think it's better your second suggestion, so I can manage only one
inserted event handler (I need to handle DataSource_Inserted because I need
to access e.returnValue, so if I have only one code is better).
However, I've tried it, but there is a problem.
I start the process from here:
Protected Sub btnSave_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles btnSave.Click

Select Case Me.fv.CurrentMode

Case FormViewMode.Edit

Me.fv.UpdateItem(True)

Case FormViewMode.Insert

Me.fv.InsertItem(True)

End Select

End Sub

However, I call changeMode from datasource_Inserted, but after fv.InsertItem
I have that currentMode is ReadOnly. Why?

Meanwhile, I solved with the other solution, thaks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Trapulo,
>
> As for the FormView control, when you perform Insert Operation on it, if
> you haven't explicitly specify FormView's new mode, it will always change
> it to the DefaultMode you set on the FormView(generally it is the
> "ReadOnly" mode). To make the Formview remain "InsertMode" in your case,
> you can use either of the following means:
>
> #1 FormViewInsertedEventArgs has a "KeepInInsertMode" property which can
> help make the FormView remain "InsertMode" after inserted event
>
> ========================
> protected void FormView1_ItemInserted(object sender,
> FormViewInsertedEventArgs e)
> {
> if (e.Exception != null)
> {
> Response.Write("<br/>Exception: " + e.Exception.Message);
>
> e.ExceptionHandled = true;
> e.KeepInInsertMode = true;
> }
>
> }
> ===============
>

> #2 Or you can manually call "FormView.ChangeMode" to set the FormView's
> sequential Mode(this means is not limited to Inserting case only):
>
> protected void ObjectDataSource1_Inserted(object sender,
> ObjectDataSourceStatusEventArgs e)
> {
>
> if (e.Exception != null)
> {
> Response.Write("<br/>Exception: " + e.Exception.Message);
>
> e.ExceptionHandled = true;
>
> FormView1.ChangeMode(FormViewMode.Insert);
> }
>
> }
> ==============================
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> ications.

> rights.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Trapulo,

As for the following behavior you mentioned:

However, I call changeMode from datasource_Inserted, but after
fv.InsertItem
I have that currentMode is ReadOnly. Why?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

do you mean you still get the ReadOnly state even after you call
"ChangeMode" of FormView? If so, would tell me where did you put the
ChangeMode and where did you found that the Mode is still readonly?

BTW, below is the disassembled code from reflector, the "HandleInsert"
method is used when we call FormView.InsertItem, and it will register a
Callback function named "HandleInsertCallback" that was called after
inserting has been finished. There in the "HandleInsertCallback" function,
you will find that FormView will always set the state to "DefaultMode" if
we haven't manually specifiy "KeepInInsertMode":

====================================
private void HandleInsert(string commandArg, bool causesValidation)
{
if ((!causesValidation || (this.Page == null)) || this.Page.IsValid)
{
if (this.Mode != FormViewMode.Insert)
{
throw new
HttpException(SR.GetString("DetailsViewFormView_Co ntrolMustBeInInsertMode",
new object[] { "FormView", this.ID }));
}
DataSourceView data = null;
bool isBoundUsingDataSourceID = base.IsBoundUsingDataSourceID;
if (isBoundUsingDataSourceID)
{
data = this.GetData();
if (data == null)
{
throw new
HttpException(SR.GetString("View_DataSourceReturne dNullView", new object[]
{ this.ID }));
}
}
FormViewInsertEventArgs e = new FormViewInsertEventArgs(commandArg);
if (isBoundUsingDataSourceID)
{
this.ExtractRowValues(e.Values, true);
}
this.OnItemInserting(e);
if (!e.Cancel && isBoundUsingDataSourceID)
{
this._insertValues = e.Values;
data.Insert(e.Values, new
DataSourceViewOperationCallback(this.HandleInsertC allback));
}
}
}

private bool HandleInsertCallback(int affectedRows, Exception ex)
{
FormViewInsertedEventArgs e = new
FormViewInsertedEventArgs(affectedRows, ex);
e.SetValues(this._insertValues);
this.OnItemInserted(e);
this._insertValues = null;
if ((ex != null) && !e.ExceptionHandled)
{
return false;
}
if (!e.KeepInInsertMode)
{
FormViewModeEventArgs args2 = new
FormViewModeEventArgs(this.DefaultMode, false);
this.OnModeChanging(args2);
if (!args2.Cancel)
{
this.Mode = args2.NewMode;
this.OnModeChanged(EventArgs.Empty);
base.RequiresDataBinding = true;
}
}
return true;
}

===================================

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Trapulo

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Trapulo,
>
> As for the following behavior you mentioned:
>

> However, I call changeMode from datasource_Inserted, but after
> fv.InsertItem
> I have that currentMode is ReadOnly. Why?
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> do you mean you still get the ReadOnly state even after you call
> "ChangeMode" of FormView?

yes

>If so, would tell me where did you put the
> ChangeMode and where did you found that the Mode is still readonly?

I put it in myDatasource_Inserted event handler. However now I've changed
code to avoid the problem, so I cannot paste it "as was".
I found it using VS debugger, testing the property after the call to
InsertItem.

> BTW, below is the disassembled code from reflector, the "HandleInsert"
> method is used when we call FormView.InsertItem, and it will register a
> Callback function named "HandleInsertCallback" that was called after
> inserting has been finished. There in the "HandleInsertCallback" function,
> you will find that FormView will always set the state to "DefaultMode" if
> we haven't manually specifiy "KeepInInsertMode":

That's clear, thank you