Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ODBC DSN Connection

ODBC DSN Connection

Karl A Mikesell

Using ODBC DSN connection in ASP.net does not work, but same code will
execute properly as a Windows application, is this the result of .NET Code
Access Security, since user DSNs are registry based?

What would be required to allow (ASP.net) Web Application to use ODBC DSN
connection?

Bravo security (what a concept),

Karl Mikesell MCSE

Kevin Spencer

Hi Karl,

First, I have to wonder why you would want to use an ODBC DSN, as ODBC is a
wrapper for OLE DB, and almost every major database product out there has
OLE DB drivers nowadays. Be that as it may...

You are correct that you are dealing with a permissions issue here, and that
it is related to the fact that System DSNs are stored in the registry. The
user accoount under which your ASP.Net app is running must have permission
to read that registry key in order to use a System DSN.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"Karl A Mikesell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using ODBC DSN connection in ASP.net does not work, but same code will
> execute properly as a Windows application, is this the result of .NET

Code
> Access Security, since user DSNs are registry based?
>
> What would be required to allow (ASP.net) Web Application to use ODBC DSN
> connection?
>
> Bravo security (what a concept),
>
> Karl Mikesell MCSE

Karl A Mikesell

Thank you for confirming so quickly. The DSN in question is not a database,
it is a proprietary device interface (yet another legacy device), just
trying to hook into it. This is were Web Services helps greatly.

Thank again.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...