Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Inheriting from GridView

Inheriting from GridView

Greg

I'm building a custom web control that inherits from asp.net GridView
control. I'm expecting that when the control is inserted into a page its
design time behavior is the same as GridView but it is not. Here is what I
mean:

<Custom:CustomGridView ID="gv" runat="server">
<Columns>

</Columns>
</Custom:CustomGridView>

When I try to insert another tag between the custom grid view the designer
correctly shows the list of available options like AlternatinRowStyle,
Columns, etc. So I insert Columns tag. But when I try to insert a tag between
Columns tag the designer doesn't give any choices. Has anyone run into
similar issue with the GridView or other controls? Do I need to tinker with
any Attributes?

I appreciate any help

bugmenot

Greg;7385764 Wrote:
> When I try to insert another tag between the custom grid view the
> designer
> correctly shows the list of available options like AlternatinRowStyle,
> Columns, etc. So I insert Columns tag. But when I try to insert a tag
> between
> Columns tag the designer doesn't give any choices. Has anyone run into
> similar issue with the GridView or other controls? Do I need to tinker
> with
> any Attributes?

I'm having the same problem. Any ideas anyone?

--
bugmenot

maydaytxjunk@gmail.com

On Mar 14, 1:26 pm, Greg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm building a custom web control that inherits from asp.net GridView
> control. I'm expecting that when the control is inserted into a page its
> design time behavior is the same as GridView but it is not. Here is what I
> mean:
>
> <Custom:CustomGridView ID="gv" runat="server">
> <Columns>
>
> </Columns>
> </Custom:CustomGridView>
>
> When I try to insert another tag between the custom grid view the designer
> correctly shows the list of available options like AlternatinRowStyle,
> Columns, etc. So I insert Columns tag. But when I try to insert a tag between
> Columns tag the designer doesn't give any choices. Has anyone run into
> similar issue with the GridView or other controls? Do I need to tinker with
> any Attributes?
>
> I appreciate any help

I am having the same problem. The design-time support only works for
nested items that are direct children of the inherited GridView; such
as <AlternatingRowStyle, Columns, EditRowStyle, etc. However, it works
fine when compiled and run. Any help on this would be great!