Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > FormView & object

FormView & object

David Thielen

Hi;

Is there a way to assign an object as the DataItem for a FormView? I need to
edit/view/create an object that doesn't really map to a row in a database.

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Dave,

As for the ASP.NET FormView control, it is the same as normal databound
control, you can supply a custom class instance as Datasource through its
"DataSource" property and call DataBind method to perform the databinding.
The difference here is that when you manually supply the custom data object
and perform databinding, you also need to manually bandle all the
edit/update/delete events(hooking the ItemUpdating ..... events) and put
your own code logic there.

One way to still facilitate the ASP.NET 2.0 databound control/data source
control model is to define a custom class which wrapper your custom data
class that will be manipulated through FormView. Then, you can configure
the ObjectDatasource to use your that wrapper class. How do you think?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

David Thielen

I tried that but when I attached my object as the DataSource it threw an
exception saying it had to implement one of 3 classes (don't remember their
names). I was hoping to not have to do that.

--

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> As for the ASP.NET FormView control, it is the same as normal databound
> control, you can supply a custom class instance as Datasource through its
> "DataSource" property and call DataBind method to perform the databinding.
> The difference here is that when you manually supply the custom data object
> and perform databinding, you also need to manually bandle all the
> edit/update/delete events(hooking the ItemUpdating ..... events) and put
> your own code logic there.
>
> One way to still facilitate the ASP.NET 2.0 databound control/data source
> control model is to define a custom class which wrapper your custom data
> class that will be manipulated through FormView. Then, you can configure
> the ObjectDatasource to use your that wrapper class. How do you think?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for the reply Dave,

Yes, I forgot to mention that most of the databoundcontrol based
Controls(like GridView, DataList....) require the datasource to support the
following interfaces(see the validation code picked from reflector)

========================
protected override void ValidateDataSource(object dataSource)
{
if (((dataSource != null) && !(dataSource is IListSource)) &&
(!(dataSource is IEnumerable) && !(dataSource is IDataSource)))
{
throw new
InvalidOperationException(SR.GetString("DataBoundC ontrol_InvalidDataSourceTy
pe"));
}
}

However, for your scenario, if you have a single object want to bind to a
databound control, you can simply wrapper it in a object Array, e.g.

MyData data = new MyData();

MyData[] dataarray = new MyData[1];
dataarray[0] = data;

DataControl1.DataSource = dataarray;