Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Invalid postback or callback argument error

Invalid postback or callback argument error

Nathan Sokalski

I have a DataList in which the ItemTemplate contains two Button controls
that use EventBubbling. When I click either of them I receive the following
error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled using
<pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page
EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this
feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate
from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid
and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method
in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback
argument. Event validation is enabled using <pages
enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page
EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this
feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate
from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid
and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method
in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation
is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or
<%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes,
this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events
originate from the server control that originally rendered them. If the
data is valid and expected, use the
ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register
the postback or callback data for validation.]
System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.ValidateEvent(St ring uniqueId, String
argument) +2082588
System.Web.UI.Control.ValidateEvent(String uniqueID, String
eventArgument) +106
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument)
+32
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
eventArgument) +7
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.210

I had trouble getting the instructions in the error to work. If anybody can
help me here, I would greatly apprecciate it. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Jim in Arizona

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> I have a DataList in which the ItemTemplate contains two Button controls
> that use EventBubbling. When I click either of them I receive the following
> error:
>
> Server Error in '/' Application.
>
> Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled using
> <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page
> EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this
> feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate
> from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid
> and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method
> in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.
>
> Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback
> argument. Event validation is enabled using <pages
> enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page
> EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this
> feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate
> from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid
> and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method
> in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.
>
> Source Error:

> current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
>
> Stack Trace:
>
> [ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation
> is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or
> <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes,
> this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events
> originate from the server control that originally rendered them. If the
> data is valid and expected, use the
> ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register
> the postback or callback data for validation.]
> System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.ValidateEvent(St ring uniqueId, String
> argument) +2082588
> System.Web.UI.Control.ValidateEvent(String uniqueID, String
> eventArgument) +106
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument)
> +32
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
> eventArgument) +7
> System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
> sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
> System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33
> includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
> Version:2.0.50727.210
>
> I had trouble getting the instructions in the error to work. If anybody can
> help me here, I would greatly apprecciate it. Thanks.

If this is what I think it may be, then make sure you're not calling the
same sub that pulls from your data source twice.

For instance, if you created a sub procedure that populates your
datalist and you are calling it when the user clicks a button within
your itemtemplate, after the data processing has been done (or whatever
processing you're doing with that button), make sure that it isn't also
being called in your Page_load sub. When your page FIRST loads and you
populate the datalist control, make sure that you have it within a If
Not Page.IsPostBack and not where it gets called on every load.

That's how I ran into the same error.

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Nathan,

There is no problem with crossposting. But you are crossposting it so much,
that I expect that you get your answer in another newsgroup than I am active
in for this question.

Cor

"Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...