Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Display an empty grid

Display an empty grid

David Thielen

I would swear I asked this yesterday - but I can't find my post (or any
answers). So here goes again.

In a GridView, when it is empty, instead of a message, I would like the grid
to display, preferably with a single empty row but having just the header and
no rows would be ok. How can I do this?

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net

kan

Hi..
Thats very simple but i think u can display the header use this
if(DataGrid.items.count==0)
{
DataGrid.visible=true;
}

David Thielen wrote:
> I would swear I asked this yesterday - but I can't find my post (or any
> answers). So here goes again.
>
> In a GridView, when it is empty, instead of a message, I would like the grid
> to display, preferably with a single empty row but having just the header and
> no rows would be ok. How can I do this?
>
> --
> thanks - dave
> david_at_windward_dot_net
> http://www.windwardreports.com
>
> Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi David,

You can inherit from GridView and override CreateChildControls to create
the header row when the data row is empty:

#Displaying GridView When No Data Exists
http://blogs.claritycon.com/blogs/ke...02/28/247.aspx

#ASP.NET Forums - Solution: Show Header/Footer of Gridview with Empty Data
Source
http://forums.asp.net/thread/1189584.aspx

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

David Thielen

That first one is exactly what I am looking for - thanks.

--

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> You can inherit from GridView and override CreateChildControls to create
> the header row when the data row is empty:
>
> #Displaying GridView When No Data Exists
> http://blogs.claritycon.com/blogs/ke...02/28/247.aspx
>
> #ASP.NET Forums - Solution: Show Header/Footer of Gridview with Empty Data
> Source
> http://forums.asp.net/thread/1189584.aspx
>
> Sincerely,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> ications. If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the
> check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your reply
> promptly.

alvinzc@gmail.com

Hi, you can assign the text to be displayed when the GridView is empty
to the emptyDataText property. If you do more formatting, you can write
the HTML in the <EmptyDataTemplate>

Hope this helps,

Regards
Alvin Chooi